Christy Mellifont- Melbourne Solicitor
"Before applying to W+K, I was really impressed by the quality of the work produced by the firm. At my interview, the partners emphasised their “open door” policy and collaborative culture. W+K felt like the right fit! Now that I’m here, I’m enjoying the wide variety of matters I work on. Every day brings something new and interesting in insurance law, because we work for such a diverse group of clients. "
Hayden Gregory- Sydney Paralegal
"W+K has been most helpful in giving me the freedom and tools to help me move in the directions I want to go. I’m looking forward to both my own and the firm’s growth. I have no doubt at all W+K has one of the best firm cultures out there (even outside of the legal profession). We’re hard-working but easy-going, balanced. Where else can you beat the partners in an internal ping pong league?"
At Wotton + Kearney we’re committed to providing a working environment that is open and collegiate, with minimum hierarchy. Our culture focuses on continuous improvement and teamwork.
Our core values are:
- Relationships are the cornerstone of our business. Whether it’s the relationships we foster with insurers, or the internal relationships that make our results possible, teamwork is key.
- Excellence differentiates us. From the value we deliver to our clients, to the standards we set for ourselves in service, expertise and integrity. Continuous self-improvement and seeking opportunities to grow and be stretched are mantras we live by.
- Diversity is evident in how we treat each other with respect and value the diversity of our backgrounds, strengths, experience and ideas. Through diversity comes our ability to innovate.We’re particularly proud of the fact that over 70% of our professional and shared services teams are female. We celebrate achievements, big or small, professional or personal. After all, they all count. We value your opinions. Sometimes the best ideas can seem to come from nowhere. Our Innovation Panel was set up for all your “eureka moments” and while we can’t implement every suggestion, we promise to consider them. We recognise that working in a law firm isn’t typically a 9-5 job and sometimes the hours can be long.
We only employ people that we believe reflect those values. It might sound obvious but we don’t employ anyone unless we think they’re up to the job. That means you won’t be micro-managed, but instead will be trusted to work independently, relative to your level of experience and the nature of the work you’re doing. There’s always someone on hand if you need help or guidance and there’s no such thing as a stupid question. We believe in equal opportunities.
We’re particularly proud of the fact that over 70% of our professional and shared services teams are female. We celebrate achievements, big or small, professional or personal. After all, they all count. We value your opinions. Sometimes the best ideas can seem to come from nowhere. Our Innovation Panel was set up for all your “eureka moments” and while we can’t implement every suggestion, we promise to consider them. We recognise that working in a law firm isn’t typically a 9-5 job and sometimes the hours can be long.
We believe that a comfortable team is a happy and successful one. When designing the layout of our new offices a core focus was providing ergonomic work spaces, along with breakout areas for you to take some time out from the day job and unwind.
At Wotton and Kearney we see it as part of our purpose to provide career opportunities not jobs. Working for us you will:
- gain exposure to a range of complex and interesting matters.
- work with experienced professionals focused on supporting you to achieve your career goals.
We strive for excellence in everything we do and we know that rewarding our people is important. We do this through:
rewarding people through competitive remuneration.
- incentive programs.
- long service awards.
- offering a generous employee referral program
We know it’s not just about what salary we offer you – though that helps too! Law firms often talk about how important it is to offer “value adds” to their clients. At Wotton + Kearney we believe the same applies to our own people. With that in mind we offer a range of benefits to enhance your health and wellbeing – and even your social life. Healthy body. Healthy mind. We recognise the importance of maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle. To promote that we:
- have paid parental leave.
- provide access to flexible work arrangements.
- have the latest mobile technology.
- offer professional support services through our Employee Assistance Program.
- run annual flu vaccination programs.
- provide fresh fruit
- have a strong social calendar with a variety of team based and office wide events throughout the year.
We leverage our privileged position to assist the broader community through our market leading pro-bono legal services and CSR initiatives. Visit our Community Footprint page to find out more about what you could be involved in working with Wotton + Kearney.
We pride ourselves on offering genuine opportunities for professional development. We invest in the growth of our people and have developed a number of programs to help everyone realise their full potential. In particular we:
- run internal seminars and workshops, as well as having practice-specific Focus Groups, all of which are designed to help keep our lawyers up to date with the latest developments in the legal and insurance industries.
- pay for employees (not just lawyers) to attend external seminars and conferences (if it’s not a topic we cover ourselves).
- have an extensive electronic and hard copy library, directly relevant to insurance law, to help with any research tasks.
- invest heavily in innovative technology to help you work smarter, not harder.
- offer lawyers the opportunity to undertake client secondments; an invaluable opportunity to get to know your client better and gain further insight into their business.
- provide financial assistance and study leave for postgraduate study, if it’s going to help you in your role at Wotton + Kearney.
- cover the cost of professional memberships so that you can attend additional seminars and also networking events.
At Wotton + Kearney we pride ourselves on delivering quality legal services to our valued clients. As our firm grows and our journey continues, we are seeking like minded people who share our passion and commitment to join our team of specialists. Find out more about our current opportunities.
- Associate – Professional Indemnity (click to view advertisement)
- General Insurance Associate (click to view advertisement)
- Associate – Professional Indemnity & Public Product Liability (click to view advertisement)
No current vacancies
How to apply? Please forward your CV and academic transcript for professional roles or a copy of your qualifications for shared services roles to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No current opportunities that suit your skills/experience? We’re always interested in speaking to lawyers, paralegals and support staff who see a future with us. Register your details on our database by forwarding a copy of your CV to email@example.com.
Contact the People & Culture team to discuss opportunities at Wotton + Kearney. Jessica Meyer, Recruitment Consultant +61 2 8273 9989
As a professional services firm our people are at the heart of what we do. At Wotton + Kearney we’re dedicated to attracting, developing and retaining talented individuals, whether as part of our legal or shared services teams. We want you to have a successful career, not just a job.
Our paralegals are an integral part of the Wotton + Kearney team. We employ a number of paralegals across all 3 offices on both a full and part time basis. We believe in exposing every member of the legal team to the “nuts and bolts” of a claim and that includes our paralegals. We promise you won’t find yourself chained to the photocopier day in, day out, or stuck in the library doing endless research tasks! In recent years a number of our paralegals have continued onto our Young Lawyer Development Program following their admission. We believe that’s testament to the quality of work and training they receive during their time with us.
A core element of our approach to building a successful firm of specialist lawyers is our 12 month “Young Lawyer Development Program”. The program is aimed at graduate lawyers in their first year of post admission experience. Some come to us straight out of law school while others have prior experience working within the legal industry. Graduates are taken on in our Sydney and Melbourne offices. Throughout the year you’ll be exposed to a broad range of matters, working for a number of partners and senior lawyers across practice areas. At the end of the program you’ll have the opportunity to remain with the firm as a solicitor. At Wotton + Kearney we believe the best way for you to learn the ropes is to play a central role in matters, under the expert tutelage of our senior lawyers. Right from the start you’ll be treated as a key member of the team, whether you’re drafting an advice or preparing pleadings, or even appearing in Court. You’ll also have a “buddy” to show you the ropes and help with the transition from law student to lawyer.
A team of high calibre and enthusiastic lawyers is a bare necessity for any successful law firm. Wotton + Kearney is home to some of the best insurance lawyers in Australia. A key factor in attracting and retaining such quality is the nature of the work our lawyers are involved in. We make a point of involving you in every aspect of a case and in giving you access to clients right from the get go. They say that variety is the spice of life and no two days are ever alike at Wotton + Kearney. One day you might find yourself drafting an advice on liability, the next day making submissions in Court or presenting a case study to a team of claims handlers. Business Development We want to guarantee the continued success of Wotton + Kearney. To do that we know it’s vital we invest not only in business development for the firm as a whole but also for our individual lawyers. After all, you’re the next generation of Wotton + Kearney partners. All Senior Associates and Special Counsel participate in a “Senior Lawyer Business Development Program”. Through quarterly meetings with your supervising partner and our Business Development Manager, we work together to ensure your practice is developing in the way you want it to. Junior lawyers are also encouraged to build relationships with clients. You’ll regularly be given the opportunity to invite them to attend networking, educational and social events. We also provide you with training to assist in developing networking skills; something you don’t learn in your degree. Overseas Qualified Lawyers We realise that Australia isn’t the only place to produce great lawyers and many of our lawyers have come to us from New Zealand and the UK. If you’re looking to make the move to Australia and have a strong insurance and dispute resolution background, we’d love to hear from you.
Our commitment to professional development doesn’t just apply to legal staff. In our Sydney office we have trainees from WorkVentures working as office juniors. They play a pivotal role in the smooth running of the firm. We believe these traineeships provide you with a foot in the door for future career moves, whether with Wotton + Kearney or elsewhere. The experience and exposure to corporate life assists in obtaining full time work and acts as a stepping stone to further opportunities. We’re particularly proud of the fact that a former IT Coordinator and one of our current Sydney paralegals both started at the firm on a WorkVentures traineeship.