About Alison Cupples
Alison is a Solicitor in Wotton + Kearney’s Auckland office.
Alison's experience to date includes providing support to partners and senior lawyers with professional negligence disputes for solicitors, valuers, architects, engineers and builders. She assists with advising both local and off-shore insurers in professional indemnity and general liability including claims arising out of natural disasters.
Alison has appeared as junior counsel in mediations, trials in the High Court and District Court as well as in professional disciplinary hearings.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- General Liability
- Professions & Business Services
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Consumer Goods
Alison Cupples's Experience
- Regularly advising on, and assisting with, professional negligence claims against solicitors, including where complaints to the New Zealand Law Society have been made.
- Advising on, and assisting with, professional negligence claims against valuers, including where complaints to the Valuers Registration Board have been made and an application for judicial review of a Board decision.
- Assisting with professional negligence claims against builders and architects in large scale leaky building claims, including appearing as junior counsel in the Auckland High Court representing Underwriters as a third party on a high value claim.
- Working on professional negligence claims brought against engineers in multi-party defective building claims and failed remediation claims following the Canterbury Earthquakes.
- Providing coverage advice on, and assisting insurers with claims handling of product liability claims in several jurisdictions including the UK, Europe, Australia and USA involving personal injury.
- Assisting with coverage advice for insurers in high profile finance company claims where the directors were involved in criminal and civil proceedings, including attending interlocutory hearings.
- Assisting with coverage advice to insurers in fire damage claims, including an arson insurance fraud case that involved engaging and managing private investigators and securing insurers position for recovery action.
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- New Zealand Young Insurance Professionals
- New Zealand Law Society
- Auckland District Law Society