Allison is a highly experienced insurance lawyer, having practised exclusively in the sector for over 10 years. Her core practice areas are financial lines and general liability, with broad expertise in professional indemnity and management liability claims across a range of industries (including property, construction, finance, and healthcare), as well as general personal injury, property damage and product liability claims. Allison is also highly skilled in providing coverage advice in respect of complex indemnity issues and acting in coverage disputes.
She is known for her sound technical skills, ability to quickly get to the crux of a matter and commercial acumen. Allison regularly acts for local and international insurers, insureds and corporations in claims that involve a combination of issues and the interaction of covers, such as personal injury claims against professional indemnity policies, claims against healthcare professionals and issues relating to double insurance.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- General Liability
- Dust Diseases
- Professional Indemnity
- Healthcare Professional Liability
- Pro Bono
- Property & Real Estate
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Professions & Business Services
- Financial Institutions & Services
Personal Injury/General Liability
- Acting for a head building contractor on the death of a sub-contractor on its building site in common law damages claims brought by the sub-contractor’s family as well as recovery proceedings issued by the Victorian WorkCover Authority on instructions from its liability insurer.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurer of a real estate agent sued in respect of serious injuries allegedly suffered by a tenant as a result of the agent’s negligent property management services.
- Acting for a former manufacturer of asbestos containing products in the defence of personal injury claims nationally, including estate and dependency claims.
Healthcare Professional Liability
- Acting for a nursing agency on a claim made on behalf of a person who suffered catastrophic brain injuries during a minor surgical procedure on instructions from its professional indemnity insurer.
- Acting on behalf of health professionals (including psychologists and radiographers) on notifications made to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency on instructions from professional indemnity insurers.
- Acting for a statutory authority in the defence of a class action brought by women who contracted hepatitis C at a medical facility as a result of the criminal actions of their anaesthetist on instructions from its professional indemnity insurer.
- Defending professional negligence claims made against auditors by former clients on the auditors’ failure to detect misappropriations made by an employee of the former client totalling in excess of $2 million.
- Defending professional negligence and misleading or deceptive conduct claims brought by different financial institutions against a property valuer in liquidation on instructions from its professional indemnity insurer.
- Advising a management liability insurer in respect of the operation of a major shareholder exclusion in support of its declinature of cover.
- Advising a management liability insurer as to the allocation of insured and uninsured aspects of a claim against its insured for breach of contract and misleading or deceptive conduct.
- Advising a professional indemnity insurer regarding a claim for double insurance made by its insured’s public liability insurer on underlying damages and recovery proceedings against its insured arising from catastrophic injuries suffered by a worker on a construction site.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Women in Insurance
- Law Institute of Victoria