Andrew is a partner of Wotton + Kearney’s financial lines team and specialises in construction related matters domestically and internationally. He represents a number of multi-national insurers in defence of claims against architects, structural and geotechnical engineers, building surveyors and draftspersons.
In addition to his professional indemnity work, Andrew also specialises in appearing before the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), which has an exclusive and unlimited jurisdiction relating to all domestic building disputes. He has developed a reputation for regularly obtaining early, cost effective and commercially appropriate results for insured building practitioners within this unique jurisdiction.
Andrew regularly provides construction based coverage advice across a range of product lines and has had the benefit of practicing solely in insurance law since admission. He also practices extensively within the Supreme Court, County Court and Federal Court jurisdictions
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation or Prosecution
- Construction and Contract Risks
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Solutions
- Acting for an architect in a large scale domestic building dispute involving approximately 100 property owners claiming combined alleged losses of over $12m.
- Acting for an engineer who allegedly caused over $8m of loss based on the poor design of a commercial meat processing facility, obtaining an early cost effective resolution after adopting an aggressive interlocutory approach.
- Acting for numerous building surveyors in respect of their alleged negligent conduct in issuing building permits, conducting inspections, and issuing certificates of occupancy, in relation to the construction of domestic dwellings.
- Acting for numerous structural engineers in respect of their alleged negligent footing design for particular soil profiles, including soil profiles requiring the application of general engineering principles.
- Acting for an architect in a personal injury matter arising out of an alleged failure to design balustrades in accordance with the relevant building code.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Building Disputes Practitioners Society
- Law Institute of Victoria