Andrew has been practising in insurance law for the past 20 years and leads our professional indemnity practice group in Sydney. Additionally, he has specialist expertise in directors & officers, management liability and environmental product lines.
Andrew provides advice as well as acts for clients in highly contentious claims, representing construction and engineering professionals and insurers of construction risks. He also acts in relation to a number of high profile class action, prospectus liability and IT liability claims.
Due to Andrew’s extensive and successful track record in co-ordinating and managing large-scale litigation, he is widely regarded in the market for his consistent provision of astute and timely commercial advice. With highly developed technical expertise, Andrew has the innate ability to be both strategic and hands on in his approach to ensuring the best outcomes for clients.
Andrew is recognised as a leading insurance lawyer in Australia by Chambers Asia-Pacific, Best Lawyers Australia and Doyles.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Coverage (stand alone)
- Construction & Contracts Works
- Environmental & Agricultural Impairment
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Professional & Business Solutions
- Technology & Cyber
- Transport & Marine
- Advising a D&O and professional indemnity insurer with respect to claims arising out of the collapse of agricultural managed investment schemes in Australia.
- Advising with respect to crime/fidelity losses.
- Acting for companies in relation to a variety of employment practices liability claims.
- Advising management liability insurers in respect of claims against entities and directors and officers in a variety of different industries.
- Advising management liability insurers in relation to representation of directors and officers at OHS presentations, ASIC investigations and ICAC enquiries.
- Acting for executive and non-executive directors in the Special Commission of Inquiry into the sale of NSW Electricity Assets.
- Advising professional indemnity and management liability insurers in relation to claims arising out of the sale of CDOs and other derivative type instruments.
- Acting on behalf of a design and construction contractor in relation to the catastrophic failure of a waste processing plant. This claim involved defending a $60 million claim by the principal and seeking to recover the contractor’s losses from its design engineer and insurers.
- Advising contract works insurers with respect to a claim in excess of $100 million arising out of a series of rain events which damaged and delayed construction of a highway.
- Advising with respect to claims against hedge funds, financial planners and accountants arising out of losses suffered as a consequence of the global financial crisis.
- Advising with respect to insurance cover available to a design and construct contractor responsible for the $300 million refurbishment of a nuclear reactor.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurer of a multinational engineering company with respect to the failure of two gas fired power stations. The total value of all claims exceeded $30 million.
- Acting in relation to a $50 million claim arising out of the construction of a weir and hydroelectric power station in the Philippines.
- Playing a key role in settling a $90 million insurance claim with respect to a spontaneous combustion heating which led to the loss of long wall mining equipment and the closure of a substantial section of an underground coal mine in Queensland.
- Defending a company which manufactured and supplied the wooden cradles which were used to secure 6 locomotives during a sea voyage from Copenhagen to Newcastle in 2008. This claim involved three sets of proceedings and was one of the largest maritime disputes before the Court at the time.
- Advising insurers with respect to a fuel spill from a tank farm in Darwin, including project managing the clean-up and reporting to, and obtaining requisite approvals from, the Northern Territory’s EPA. Also advising insurers on potential recovery options.
- Advising an environmental insurer in relation to a clean-up costs claim concerning one of the largest fuel spills in NSW (157,000 litres) and acting in the recovery against the maintenance contractor.
- Acting for an insurer about a claim in excess of $1 million for clean up costs arising from a chemical spill which occurred when a train derailed in Queensland, including in relation to coverage, quantum and the insured’s liability.
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group – National Committee Member
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Australian New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- When liquidated damages clauses are penalties: A kick in the teeth for PI insurers? – IYIR, 2015
- “Shall be subject to” – little words with a big meaning – IYIR, 2015
- New Horizons – the uptake of mandatory pollution insurance in the Asia-Pacific region – IYIR, 2015
- The restricted scope of “other insurance” clauses
- Andrew Moore is widely praised by clients for his extensive experience in insurance class action litigation as well as his skills in dealing with “complex D&O and professional indemnity insurance.” He is also rated very highly by clients for being “very practical, and able to provide a commercial solution to issues.” – Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific, 2016
- Leading individual in insurance law – Best Lawyers Australia, 2016
- Ranked as a recognised practitioner in insurance law – Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific, 2015
- Recognised as a key contact in insurance law – The Legal 500, Asia-Pacific, 2015
- Leading individual in insurance law – Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Ranked as an up and coming individual in insurance law – Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific, 2014