Belinda leads W+K’s general liability practice, having practised solely in insurance law since 1998, and is a member of the firm’s executive committee.
Belinda is recognised for her technical excellence and for consistently providing clients with commercially sensible and considered advice. As a general liability specialist, she works across numerous industry sectors defending public and product liability claims and property damage claims for insurers and their corporate customers.
With her extensive knowledge and experience across both local and overseas jurisdictions, Belinda has developed an enviable reputation in the market for her collaborative and flexible approach to resolving claims.
Belinda regularly acts for both local and international insurers and Lloyd’s of London syndicates in many high profile, catastrophic injury and product liability claims, as well as a range of other matters including coronial inquiries and claims involving institutional abuse.
Belinda has been ranked as a Leading Public Liability Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Workers Liability / Recovery
- Property Damage (3rd Party)
- Product Liability & Product Recall
- Coverage (stand alone)
- Coronials, Inquiries & Prosecutions
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Consumer Goods
- Healthcare & Life Science
- Sport Leisure & Entertainment
- Defending public liability claims ranging from small claims to catastrophic injuries, and property damage for Insureds including residential and commercial occupiers, construction site contractors, roads and statutory authorities, recreational services providers and voluntary and “not-for-profit” associations.
- Defending hotels, clubs, security providers, theatre and restaurant operators against personal injury and property damage claims, including fire damage and assault claims.
- Defending manufacturers and suppliers in product liability injury and property damage claims involving animal feed, consumable products and ingredients, paint products, recreational equipment, electrical products, tyres and mechanical componentry.
- These claims involve the interaction between the Trade Practices Act/Australian Consumer Law and Civil Liability Act regimes and often require consideration of recovery prospects against foreign manufacturers.
- Defending workers compensation recovery actions pursuant to s.151Z of the Workers Compensation Act.
- Representing insureds in coronial inquests and against compensation to relatives and nervous shock claims.
- Acting in defence of vibration damage and subsidence claims involving multiple residential and commercial property owners.
- Conduct of product recall/contaminated products claims, with a strong track record in advising insurers in the context of accidental contamination, malicious product tamper and mislabelling claims, particularly in the food & beverage product space.
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW
- Women in Insurance
- Leading individual in insurance law – Best Lawyers Australia, 2015