Charu is an experienced insurance litigator with a focus on financial lines. Although a strong litigator, she always seeks to employ alternative dispute resolution processes at an early stage to explore options for a swift resolution and to narrow the scope of issues in dispute.
Charu has previously worked for a large commercial firm in the UK and has undertaken several secondments to a major international insurer in Sydney and London. She brings a client-focused, commercial approach to her practice by anticipating the practical needs of insurers and fostering constructive relationships with brokers and insureds to effectively resolve claims.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Financial Institutions
- Cyber & Data Security
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Property & Real Estate
- Public Sector
- Representing a sole director and majority shareholder in defence of a minority shareholder oppression claim in the Supreme Court of NSW. Charu briefed counsel and experts in property and business valuations, accounting and directors’ remuneration and took extensive lay affidavits. The claimed quantum exceeded $40 million and the claim was successfully resolved at a mediation.
- Representing a building certifier in defence of proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW brought by a strata corporation against multiple defendants. Charu persuaded the strata corporation to discontinue proceedings against building certifier via informal negotiations. The claimed quantum exceeded $3 million.
- Representing an architect in the defence of an unlitigated claim following the collapse of a building. Charu persuaded the claimant not to pursue claim following informal negotiations. The claimed quantum exceeded $2 million.
- Providing coverage advice to an insurer for a claim by a financial institution arising out of an ATO audit, including on the interaction between a global master policy and the local Australian policy. Charu negotiated a resolution with the insured in circumstances where the extent of cover available was disputed. The claimed quantum exceeded $1.7 million with the potential for substantial future losses.
- Representing a firm of financial advisors and their insurer in relation to 30+ related claims lodged with the Financial Ombudsman Service in the United Kingdom. Charu prepared submissions to the Ombudsman and obtaining expert reports on the financial products involved. The claimed quantum exceeded £4M.
- Acting for a European drilling rig manufacturer in Supreme Court of NSW proceedings in relation to a collapse of a drilling rig. Charu drafted pleadings, briefed an expert engineer, prepared lay affidavits, and appeared at interlocutory hearings. Achieved settlement in which co-defendant indemnified insured and took over conduct of defence. Claim value $2 million.
- Acting for a railway track maintenance company in District Court of NSW proceedings in relation to property damage arising out of a derailment. Charu drafted pleadings, appeared at interlocutory hearings and drafted lay affidavits. Claim settled at mediation. Claim value $1 million.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Women in Insurance