Chris has 15 years' experience specialising in insurance and general commercial litigation. His specific area of practice includes professional indemnity with an emphasis on financial lines. Chris acts for leading financial advisers, stock brokers and is a trusted adviser for a range of finance professionals. Chris has a wealth of knowledge and experience in financial services law having gained experience acting in significant and complex disputes on behalf of Australian Financial Services Licensees and their insurers. He also regularly acts for accountants, auditors and tax professionals and has appeared for directors and officers in connection with formal investigations and public examinations.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Financial Institutions
- Cyber & Data Security
- Prospectus Liability
- Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation or Prosecution
- Coverage (stand alone)
- Professions & Business Services
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Represented a brokerage firm in a multi million dollar claim arising from allegations of unauthorised discretionary trading. Chris successfully negotiated an outcome prior to trial which involved the joinder of responsible parties and assessment of complex options trading positions for the purpose of assessing loss.
- Representing an auditor in proceedings arising from the collapse of a large accounting and tax advisory firm. Chris has successfully overseen the striking out of significant aspects of the claim against his client.
- Acting on behalf of financial services licensees in claims arising from negligent financial advice.
- Acting in claims involving accountants, valuers, financial planners, engineers, surveyors and other building and construction professionals.
- Acting on behalf of a national liquidation firm in a multi-million dollar claim arising from the administration of a large mining concern.
- Acting for advisers in claims arising from negligent tax advice.
- Acting on behalf of engineers in respect of allegations of defective design of a pulley mechanism for the cartage of coal at a large-scale New South Wales coal mine.
- Acting for insurers of a large construction firm in a claim arising from delays in the completion of the East Link Tunnel Freeway in Melbourne.
- Acting for various health professionals (on instructions from their professional indemnity insurers) in civil proceedings commenced in the County and Supreme Courts of Victoria