Chief Executive Partner
David Kearney is Chief Executive Partner of Wotton + Kearney (W+K), co-founded in 2002 as the first Australian law firm with a sole focus on insurance. Having practised for over 25 years in most classes of commercial insurance, he continues to manage the firm’s significant growth from one office of six lawyers at inception, to over 125 lawyers across four offices in Australia today.
With a focus on leading the firm as it responds to a transforming insurance industry, David was integral in the conception and development of a new and innovative legal services model, Legalign Global. Launched to the worldwide market this year, Legalign Global is an alliance of four of the world’s foremost insurance law firms developed in response to globalisation, working to a common Client Services Charter.
Recognised internationally in the industry for his expertise, David has been ranked as the only Eminent Practitioner in insurance law by Chambers Asia Pacific in 2016 and 2017. Further, Legal 500 Asia Pacific has consistently rated David as a Leading Individual.
This year, Insurance Business Magazine included David in their highly regarded annual “Hot List” of key influencers in the sector. As testament, David is regularly called upon by the legal and insurance media to comment on issues affecting these industries. He co-authored the Australian chapter for various editions of the “International Comparative Legal Guide to Insurance and Reinsurance.”
David was integral in the development of, and plays an active role in, the firm’s Pro Bono and Corporate Social Responsibility program, Community Footprint.
Areas of Expertise
- Construction and Contract Works
- Financial Lines
- Professional Indemnity
- Public and Products Liability
- Australian Insurance Law Association (committee member)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- National Product Liability Association
- Eminent Practitioner in insurance law – Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific, 2016
- Eminent Practitioner in insurance law – Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific, 2015
- Leading individual in insurance law – Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Leading individual in insurance law – The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2015
- Leading individual in insurance law – The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, 2014
- Leading Lawyer – Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific, 2014