Dearne is a senior insurance lawyer whose core practice areas focus on professional indemnity and other financial lines claims, acting for both local and international insurers. She has extensive experience providing coverage advice as well as acting as defence counsel in both litigated and non-litigated matters, and advising insurers on subrogated recovery actions.
Dearne has been integral in the running of the firm’s property professionals practice, which manages a broad range of professional indemnity claims against valuers, real estate agents, surveyors, leasing agents and building managers. Her key focus is on valuer’s negligence claims following the collapse of the property market during the global financial crisis.
Further, Dearne also represents professional indemnity insurers and defends claims against accountants, geotechnical engineers and insureds within the construction industry.
In 2016 Dearne was named as a Young Gun by Insurance Business, being one of the 50 young professionals identified on the list Australia-wide. In 2015 she was nominated at the NSW Women Lawyers Achievement Awards for Up and Coming Lawyer of the Year.
Areas of Expertise
- Financial Lines
- Professional Indemnity
- Coverage (stand alone)
- Subrogation & Recoveries
- Property & Real Estate
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Professions & Business Services
- Acting on behalf of valuers in claims brought in the Federal Court and the Supreme Courts arising from valuations of residential, commercial and retail properties across New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel in professional indemnity claims against a range of property professionals including real estate agents, building managers and building inspectors.
- Acting for insurers in subrogated recovery proceedings involving a large fire at a shopping centre.
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel in professional indemnity claims against a range of financial professionals including accountants and financial planners.
- Representing an insured in regulatory proceedings commenced in the Industrial Court of New South Wales involving alleged breaches of the Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Acting for an insured in Tribunal proceedings involving alleged discrimination and victimisation.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Society of NSW
- Women in Insurance
- Young Insurance Professionals