About Edward O'Brien
Edward specialises in financial lines coverage and defence work including directors and officers, professional indemnity, management liability and major class action litigation. He regularly acts for a range of entities from small to medium enterprise businesses, to high profile claims.
Having regularly acted for both local and Lloyd’s of London insurers, government departments and , agencies as well as third party claims administrators, Edward has developed strong ties both domestically and overseas, earning him an enviable reputation in the market for his exceptional client management skills, as well as his ability to provide timely and commercially astute advice.
Edward has undertaken a lengthy secondment to the financial lines claims team of a leading global insurer which provided him with the opportunity to gain valuable insights on how insurer clients operate, what challenges they face and how he can tailor his service to ensure their objectives are always met or exceeded.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors and Officers
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation or Prosecution
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Professions & Business Services
Edward O'Brien's Experience
- Acting for primary insurers in respect of multiple securities class actions against ASX listed entities, including proceedings commenced against:
– a major plaintiff law firm;
– a national retail chain; and
– an education service provider;
- Acting for directors and officers and professional indemnity insurers in relation to the collapse of one of Australia’s largest private client stockbroking, corporate advisory and asset management groups.
- Acting as defence counsel in respect of a misleading and deceptive conduct claim brought against directors of a bio-tech company in connection with an investment of capital.
- Acting as defence counsel under instructions from the primary PI insurers of an environmental consultancy firm in respect of a $20 million claim arising from the failure of a medial waste incinerator.
- Acting as defence counsel (and quasi coverage counsel) on behalf of a professional indemnity insurer faced with a $10 million claim following a declinature and the deregistration of the insured.
- Representing a vehicle inspector under instructions from the primary PI insurer in defence of proceedings arising out of an alleged breach of duty.
- Acting under instructions from the primary professional indemnity insurer in defence of a claim brought against a national accounting firm in respect of allegations of negligent taxation and restructuring advice.
- Acting under instructions from the primary PI insurer of a financial planner who was alleged to have negligently failed to incept a life insurance policy.
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (committee member since 2014)
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria