Emily represents large commercial insurers and their insured customers. She specialises in financial lines with a particular focus on management liability, professional indemnity and construction liability, having represented professionals in complex and high value professional negligence claims, including solicitors and law firms.
Emily has specialist experience defending insurers in professional negligence claims before the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and superior courts in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria (in particular, claims arising out of the collapse of managed investment schemes and various agribusiness products).
Emily regularly conducts mediations and informal settlement conferences and appears at interlocutory applications and Directions Hearings (including the Supreme Court of Victoria, County Court of Victoria and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) in complex multi-party claims. Emily is experienced in the day-to-day carriage of large Supreme Court of Victoria proceedings, acting for builders and developers, lenders and other service providers.
Emily is the Pro Bono and CSR Co-ordinator for Wotton + Kearney’s Melbourne office. In 2016 she participated in the Maasai Mara Half Marathon in Kenya as a fundraising initiative for Wotton + Kearney’s Charity Partner ‘So They Can’, an inspiring charity empowering communities in Kenya and Tanzania through education. As part of W+K’s fundraising team, Emily contributed to raising in excess of $100,000 for the charity, secured ongoing sponsorship of the education of 33 children, and brought advocacy and awareness about So They Can to the wider community
Areas of Expertise
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Professions & Business Services
- Acting as defence counsel in a range of claims brought against building and construction professionals in Victoria (VCAT and the County Court of Victoria) and South Australia.
- Acting as defence counsel for financial services providers in professional negligence claims brought before the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and superior courts in New South Wales and Victoria (in particular, claims arising out of the collapse of managed investment schemes and various agribusiness products).
- Acting for insurers in respect of property damage claims arising from both commercial and domestic dwellings.
- Acting for insurers in recovery actions arising from claims for property damage, both litigated and unlitigated.
- Acting for solicitors and law firms in litigated professional negligence claims.
- Acting for directors and officers (on instructions from insurers) in various management liability matters including unfair dismissal and adverse action claims, and other miscellaneous disputes.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Building Dispute Practitioners’ Society
- Women in Insurance
- Justice Connect Melbourne Pro Bono Secretariat
- The National Association of Women in Construction