Gemma is an experienced insurance litigator and specialises in Financial Lines claims with a particular focus on professional indemnity, director’s and officers duties and EPL within the construction industry and environmental space. She acts for insurers on a range of coverage issues and with respect to dispute management and recoveries.
Gemma has benefitted from spending eight months as a secondee within the Financial Lines and Casualty claims team of a major international insurer. In that role Gemma was responsible for a large claims portfolio, gaining exposure to a variety of financial lines and casualty insurance claims including multi-million dollar financial institution class actions, fidelity, construction liability and professional indemnity claims.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Directors & Officers
- Construction & Contract Works
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Advising insurers of various financial lines policies on coverage and acting as monitoring counsel in respect of the collapse of one of Australia’s largest financial companies.
- Advising financial lines insurers in relation to complex ASIC Investigations and subsequent class action proceedings commenced against a large ASX listed company and its directors.
- Providing coverage advice to professional indemnity insurers with regards to a large construction claim arising from structural design errors, and acting in subsequent recovery proceedings.
- Providing coverage advice to EIL insurers and acting in recovery proceedings with respect to a large commercial fuel spill.
- Providing coverage advice to EIL insurers and managing quantum assessment with respect to claims arising from unexpected asbestos finds at a large residential/commercial construction site.
- Acting for insurers in coverage dispute proceedings concerning a major overseas construction and engineering project loss.
- Advising Industrial Special Risk insurers on a number of large material damage and business interruption losses following earthquakes in Christchurch in 2010/2011.
- Acting for the insurer and insured in recovery proceedings following a catastrophic fire and loss of a major warehouse facility.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- The Association for Women in Insurance
- The Society of Construction Law Australia