Heidi leads Wotton + Kearney’s pro bono and corporate social responsibility program, “Community Footprint” and is a passionate advocate of pro bono and community advocacy.
Heidi was admitted as a solicitor in the UK in 2005. and joined Wotton + Kearney in 2010. Heidi’s practice was originally focused on professional indemnity and Directors and Officers claims with a core area of expertise in financial services litigation, she was promoted to the partnership in July 2014.
In addition to her busy practice, Heidi was central to establishing the Community Footprint program in 2012, and has worked tirelessly to shape the firm’s community initiatives since this time. In 2016, Heidi stepped away from her busy insurance practice to focus her time on a sustainable pro bono program for the firm.
The pro bono aspect of Community Footprint enables our lawyers to utilise their legal expertise to help address some of the many unmet legal needs in Australia. Through our partnerships with organisations like JusticeConnect, LawRight, the Refugee Advice & Casework Service and Refugee Legal, our lawyers participate in a wide variety of pro bono matters and assist many vulnerable members of our community.
- Providing pro bono advice and representation in judicial review of refugee decisions
- Helping members of the ‘Legacy Caseload’ with their applications for protection visas
- Providing pro bono assistance to refugees and asylum seekers who were previously detained in offshore detention but transferred to Australia for medical treatment
- Assisting self represented litigants in the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court
- Providing pro bono advice in relation to seniors rights
- Assisting members of the Stolen Generation to access documents held by agencies and government authorities and considering prospects of potential redress for their treatment
- Providing legal advice and assistance to not-for-profit individuals
Areas of Expertise
- Pro Bono
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Association for Women in Insurance
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly, Women in Law Pro Bono Award, October 2016
- Listed in the “Hot List“, Australasian Lawyers, August 2016
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly, Pro Bono Partner of the Year Award, March 2016
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly, Women in Pro Bono Award, November 2015
- Australasian Lawyer ‘Women to Watch‘ – profiled as one of 50 lawyers making their mark on the Australasian market, Australasian Lawyer, April 2015
- Winner, Lawyers Weekly, Women in Law Pro Bono Award, October 2014