Jane de Saint Simon
Jane was admitted in 2002 and worked for leading insurance firms prior to joining Wotton + Kearney in February 2013.
She has an extensive background in professional indemnity and public liability claims. She has acted for insurers in professional indemnity disputes, and advised on coverage issues, in matters involving a range of professionals including architects, engineers, surveyors, strata managers, insurance brokers, accountants and financial advisors.
At Wotton + Kearney Jane’s practice focuses on professional indemnity and public liability claims.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Public and Products Liability
- successfully defending a damages claim against an insurance broker arising out of coverage provided by the client’s professional indemnity policy following the Westpoint collapse (Prosperity Advisers Pty Ltd v Secure Enterprises Pty Ltd t/as Strathearn Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd  NSWCA 192);
- acting for engineers in defence of a multi-million dollar damages claim, WorkCover prosecution, and personal injury damages claim, all arising out of the Lane Cove Tunnel collapse in 2005;
- acting for engineers in a claim arising from a roof collapse within a Commonwealth Department staff college building;
- acting for engineers in defence of claims for nervous shock, claims under the Compensation to Relatives Act 1987 (NSW), and a WorkCover prosecution following a death resulting from the collapse of a metal sliding gate;
- acting for a financial advisor in a damages claim relating to the purchase of a business;
- acting for strata managers in claims for personal injuries suffered by tenants and visitors to residential units;
- conducting defendant public liability actions for telecommunications and energy utilities; and
- representing national and multinational corporations in significant property damage recoveries relating to incidents of water damage, fire damage and contamination of goods during transit.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group