About Janelle Barron
Janelle has over 15 years’ experience in the insurance industry, including working in house as a technical advisor for a national insurer. Janelle has extensive experience in managing and advising with respect to catastrophic injury claims, particularly in matters involving medical negligence, public liability, CTP and dust diseases.
Janelle has practised on both sides of the plaintiff/defendant divide and this, combined with her time working for a national insurer enables her to bring a unique and pragmatic perspective to the resolution of complex claims. Janelle’s client focussed approach enables her to deliver strong commercial outcomes.
Janelle acts for a variety of local insurers as well as London market underwriters and TPAs. Janelle has acted on behalf of defendant insurers in a broad range of matters including multi-million dollar catastrophic public liability and medical negligence injury claims, employment liability claims as well as claims arising from the construction, labour hire and mining industries as well as advising on highly technical coverage issues.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury (including CTP & PIPA)
- Healthcare Professional Liability (Med Mal)
- Property Damage (3rd party)
- Coronials, Inquiries & Prosecutions
- Life, Accident & Health
- Professional Indemnity
- Employment Practice Liability
- Subrogation & Recoveries
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Professions & Business Solutions
- Consumer Goods
- Transport & Marine
Janelle Barron's Experience
- Acting on behalf of a home owner in defence of a claim alleging host liability for catastrophic burn injuries sustained by two guests at a gathering at her home.
- Successfully assisting a public liability insurer of a domestic residence to decline a claim by a guest who had been rendered a quadriplegic based on policy conditions and exclusions requiring compliance with relevant approvals.
- Acting on behalf of large hospitals in defence of medical negligence claims including claims pertaining to cerebral palsy, failed or delayed diagnosis of conditions such as compartment syndrome and spinal epidural abscesses and general medical errors.
- Defending and managing a portfolio of catastrophic CTP claims for claimants with extensive brain injuries, quadriplegia, paraplegia, nervous shock and dependency.
- Successfully defending an unfair dismissal claim at hearing by a Council worker who had inappropriately used their delegated authority to obtain preferential access to subsidised housing and misappropriate Council funds to furnish same.
- Acting on behalf of a small metal fabrication company in defence of a Workplace Health & Safety prosecution following amputation of an employee’s fingers in a newly installed machine at its premises.
- Acting on behalf of a rural general practice in defence of a claim for alleged discrimination on the basis of family responsibilities.
- Securing the release of a plumbing company from a complex multi-party Supreme Court litigation arising out of serious defects in an industrial estate development.
- Acting in defence of claims against one of Australia’s largest asbestos containing product manufacturers for dust related diseases.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- The Association for Women in Insurance
- Medico-Legal Society of Queensland