Julia is a Solicitor in Wotton + Kearney’s Auckland office with over 6 years’ experience in Insurance and Building Law. She specialises in a number of areas including professional indemnity, product liability, coverage advice, general litigation and construction law.
Julia has in depth experience in the emerging field of representative actions in New Zealand, dealing with both coverage and defence elements for large scale representative actions, including co-ordinating technical databases on extensive product and claimant information.
She also has specific experience with solicitors’ negligence claims, including defence and coverage issues across a wide array of subject matters including financial products and offerings, relationship property, contract issues, wills and estates, trusts and intellectual property.
Areas of Expertise
- Product Liability/Product Recall
- Professional Indemnity
- General Liability
- Professions & Business Services
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Technology & Cyber
- Manufacturing – Commercial Goods
- Property & Real Estate
- Acting as Junior counsel in the High Court on a successful multi-million dollar supply claim for faulty hydro-electric dam pipes, including issues of mercantile quality, contractual limitations, and international supplier issues.
- Involvement as coverage and/or monitoring counsel on several class action product liability cases including providing advice on limitation provisions and their interaction with ongoing duties of care and failures to warn the market in the presence of damaging product information. These included co-ordinating large scale data management projects for the client, creating, assessing and maintaining databases of product information.
- Acting as defence counsel for a High Court Commerce Commission price fixing trial involving a dispute over real estate fees and online marketing.
- Providing coverage advice and successfully negotiating resolution of a claim concerning a multi-million dollar custom built software platform, including issues in relation to recession, Sale and Goods Act, Fair Trading Act and the extent of contractual and tortious duties.
- Providing advice across a wide range of casualty issues, including application of international policy wordings and law to New Zealand occurrences, advice on historic notifications, and own product exclusions.
- Member of the New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- Secretary of Not The Boys Club
- Member of Young Insurance professionals