Karren specialises in financial lines with a focus on professional indemnity, management liability and construction and infrastructure claims. She has broad experience acting for insurers, underwriters and a wide range of professionals in contractual and commercial litigation, financial institutions, class action and property damage claims across the Federal, Supreme and County courts in Victoria as well as the Victorian Claims Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
Karren represents a diverse range of financial professionals (including financial planners and advisers, stockbrokers, insurance brokers, accountants and superannuation fund managers) as well as construction professionals (including engineers, architects, builders and building surveyors). She has also represented real estate agents, IT service providers, builders, incorporated associations and owners corporations.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Management Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Financial Institutions
- Construction & Contract Works
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Solutions
- Acting on behalf of Crowe Horwath (Aust) Pty Ltd in respect of Re Premier Bay Pty Ltd  VSC 168 (decision handed down on 13 April 2018). Judgment in favour of Crowe Horwarth.
- Acting on behalf of a builder on a claim in negligence and nuisance by the owner of an adjoining property for damage caused by subsidence. The main issue in the proceeding is the appropriate measure of consequential damages. The alleged loss and damage exceeds $700,000.
- Acting on behalf of a builder on a building dispute involving the construction of three residential dwellings in Tasmania. The owners claim that the footings were inadequate and subsidence has caused damage to their property. The matter is currently before the Supreme Court of Tasmania.
- Acting on behalf of New Zealand owned designer and distributor of retractable roof greenhouses in respect to a claim by a large plant wholesaler arising from allegations of loss from damaged plants. The damage is alleged to be more than $500,000.
- Advising insurers concerning policy coverage in relation to a number of claims and potential claims arising out of the collapse of a large stockbroking firm. This matter has received high media coverage and has recently settled.
- Representing a financial adviser on claims of alleged negligent advice, misleading or deceptive conduct and breaches of section 12ED of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth) and section 945A if the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
- Acting on behalf of a large stockbroker on allegations that one of its employees did not have any reasonable basis to make the investment recommendations which he did and negligently managed the plaintiffs’ portfolio by courting an inappropriate level of risk. The plaintiffs allege their losses are more than $500,000.
- Representing an accountant in a dispute involving advice provided by the insured on CGT small business retirement concessions and superannuation contributions which were the subject of an ATO audit and risk review. Successfully negotiated a favourable settlement with the claimant.
- Acting on behalf of a real estate agent on claims by purchasers that the agent’s employee had fraudulently sold properties to them. Successfully prevented the insured’s real estate licence from being automatically revoked by the Consumer Affairs Victoria by reason of one of the affected purchasers’ application for compensation from the Victorian Property Fund.
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Women in Insurance Association