Lucas works in our Financial Lines group, with specialist expertise in professional indemnity claims, having acted for both local and international insurers in matters involving valuers, liquidators, real estate agents and professionals in the construction industry. Lucas has particular expertise in defending professional negligence claims brought against barristers, in the conduct of litigation, and solicitors, for transactional matters, including conveyancing. Further, he also has significant experience advising insurers on complex indemnity issues. Additionally, Lucas is a construction lawyer and has acted on some of the largest construction cases in New Zealand’s history. Many of those cases involved insurance questions about the ability of plaintiffs to charge insurance policies held by builders and developers.
An experienced advocate, Lucas regularly appears in court to argue interlocutory matters and has appeared as junior counsel in several full trials. Lucas retains an academic interest in the law and has contributed research to a leading textbook on a discrete equitable remedy.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Construction Professionals
- Financial Institutions
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Property & Real Estate
- Professionals & Business Service
- Advising the insurer of a prominent New Zealand law firm on complex indemnity issues arising out three separate pieces of litigation filed for alleged losses caused by conflicts of interest under bulk conveyancing retainers. The work involved working directly for Queen’s Counsel.
- Acting for the shareholding trustees of a produce company in defending extensive litigation filed by the liquidators of the company seeking to claw back, inter alia, distributions made to shareholders while the company was allegedly insolvent.
- Acting for a conveyancing solicitor in litigation alleging a mortgage fraud, including an allegation of conspiracy by a solicitor to defraud a mortgagee in partnership with the client. The case involved providing indemnity advice to the insurer, including advice on the dishonesty exclusion contained in the Policy.
- Defending civil engineers in small to large scale construction disputes litigated in the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Advising an insurer on the effect of a limitation of liability clause in a consultancy agreement in the context of the collapse of a mining infrastructure project in Western Australia.
- Advising an insurer on coverage issues relating to multiple claims for damage caused by defective plumbing systems installed in high value homes across Australia.
- Australian Insurance Law Association