Michael was admitted to legal practice in 2010 and joined Wotton + Kearney in January 2011. Michael holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of Sydney.
Michael’s practice includes acting for various NSW government agencies and statutory corporations including Sydney Water Corporation, Roads and Maritime Services, Transport for NSW, Department of Education, Sydney Trains, the Sydney Opera House Trust and Family and Community Services in areas of law involving public liability, catastrophic injuries, property damage and motor/property recoveries. Michael also has experience in advising insurers on coverage disputes and defending insured professionals such as financial advisors and engineers.
Areas of Expertise
- Public and Products Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Construction and Contract Works
- Public Sector
- Defending a mining services contractor in respect of alleged defective repairs to an excavator which was subsequently destroyed in a fire, leading to a claim for the loss of the excavator and associated business interruption losses with total claim value of $17 million.
- Acting for a timber supplier in relation to allegations alleging of misleading and deceptive conduct in the context of a defective staircase resulting in personal injury.
- Acting for and defending various government agencies in property damage claims.
- Defending construction companies in industrial accidents involving falls from heights.
Advising an insurer on coverage issues regarding the alleged failure of a ship loading system.
- Defending an insurer in respect of an alleged failure to indemnify a company which was set up by the insured authorised representative.
- Defending a claim against a government agency for an alleged sewer mains leak which caused alleged property damage.
- Defending a project homes builder against allegations that it was negligent in breaching planning legislation.
- Defending a bridge designer for property damage sustained to third parties arising from a bridge collapse.
- Defending a firm of engineers in respect of an alleged defective design of a water tank which resulted in leaks in a residential property.
- Defending tax advisors in a claim involving land tax issues.
- Defending financial advisors in claims for damages arising from pre-GFC advice.
- Advising a real estate agent on whether he has grounds to sue the drafter of an open agency agreement for alleged defects in that agreement.
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Society of NSW
- The Association for Women in Insurance
- Finalist for the 2013 Engineering Discussion Group scholarship.