Natalie is a specialist in General Liability. She has extensive experience defending personal injury, property damage and class action matters on behalf of a variety of property owners, occupiers, manufacturers and suppliers. Natalie has acted in dual insurance and coverage disputes and also provided advice to in-house counsel of large national and multi-national corporations on local, federal and international disputes.
Natalie takes the time to develop a unique, cost-effective and pragmatic strategy in each of her cases. She is very approachable and enjoys collaborating with her clients to achieve the most commercially appropriate outcome. This approach has seen her sought out by a number of leading insurers and re-insurers to act on their behalf in complex multi-party litigation in the original and appellate jurisdiction, as well as in unlitigated claims and alternative dispute resolution processes. Natalie has also been called on to draft submissions to the state government on proposed legislative changes in the context of implications to the insurance industry.
Having worked in both private practice and in-house, Natalie has developed a strong understanding of her clients’ businesses, commercial needs and priorities. For these reasons, she has also been called on by various clients to facilitate and deliver training and seminars.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Workers Liability / Recovery
- Property Damage (3rd party)
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Defending 2 manufacturers, at first instance, on appeal and then before the High Court of Australia, with respect to a claim for damages arising out of alleged exposure to a carcinogen contained within products manufactured and supplied by them. The matter has now become a leading authority on the issue of causation.
- Defending a manufacturer in a Compensation to Relatives action arising out of a deceased relative’s alleged exposure to carcinogens manufactured and supplied by it. Although the matter was listed for a 7 day hearing, the parties agreed to a further mediation, at which Natalie represented her client and achieved a commercial settlement of the matter avoiding the costs associated with preparing for and appearing at the hearing.
- Defending a contractor/employer who had been sued in relation to serious head and spinal injuries sustained by one of its employees on a construction site. The employee sued multiple parties. Natalie was successful in achieving a judgment in her client’s favour and in addition, successful in recovering 100% of the workers compensation payments made by it in respect of the claim, including interest and costs.
- Defending a courier company in relation to a claim for damages arising out of an incident which occurred on its site. Natalie was successful in reducing its apportionment of liability on appeal by half, and was awarded costs (a proportion of which were indemnity costs).
- Acting for and advising an insurer in respect to properly damage claims arising from natural disasters, including providing opinions as to fraud. Natalie negotiated settlements in the vast majority of the claims made resulting in the insurer contributing significantly under the reserve raised.
- Law Society of NSW
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Young Insurance Professionals
- Claims Discussion Group
- Association of Women in Insurance