Patrick has worked in the area of insurance litigation in the UK and Australia for almost 30 years and leads the W+K D&O team in Sydney. He is consistently recognised as a key player in insurance law by The Legal 500 and has specialised expertise and extensive experience in the areas of directors & officers, professional indemnity, investment managers and fidelity.
His practice is split between the provision of coverage advice, acting on behalf of directors and officers in large claims and during ASIC/ACCC investigations and prosecutions or at Royal Commissions, and the conduct of litigated claims against financial companies and professionals.
Patrick is regularly instructed by multi-national insurers in relation to large high profile class actions and shareholder disputes. He also co-leads W+K’s national cyber insurance incident response practice and has been appointed as a ‘breach coach’ for a large multi-national specialist insurer.
Patrick regularly presents seminars and papers to professional bodies and authors articles on key industry trends and developments in D&O and Cyber for clients, insurance publications and legal journals and is an active committee member of APIG.
Areas of Expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Professional Indemnity
- Class Actions
- Cyber & Data Security
- Prospectus Liability
- Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation & Prosecution
- Energy & Mining
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Professions & Business Services
- Technology & Cyber
- Acting for the primary D&O insurer of Leighton Holdings in relation to ASIC and AFP investigations and shareholder class actions.
- Acting for the primary D&O insurer of Centro Properties Group (Centro) in relation to class actions against Centro and civil penalty proceedings against its directors.
- Acting for the primary D&O insurer of Hastie Holdings Ltd.
- Acting for the primary insurer of RiverCity Motorway Group.
- Advising the primary insurer of various Financial Lines policies in respect of the collapse of one of Australia’s largest financial companies.
- Acting for insurers in relation to the Special Commission of Inquiry regarding Echo Entertainment.
- Acting on behalf of insureds in various ACCC and ASIC investigations and prosecutions, including insider trading and price fixing investigations and prosecutions.
- Advising insurers in respect of matters pertaining to the James Hardie Special Inquiry and ASIC prosecution of the James Hardie board.
- Acting on behalf of insurers of the Tinkler Group of Companies.
- Acting on behalf of a senior director in a multi million dollar class action arising out of the collapse of MFS Ltd.
- Acting on behalf of 2 senior directors of a failed mid tier mining company in defending a class action and 2 separate liquidator claims.
- Acting on behalf of the excess D&O insurer of Retail Adventures Pty Ltd.
- Various claims by banks and mortgage insurers against property valuers.
- Advising fidelity insurers in relation to various significant employee thefts, the largest being $22 million over a 10 year period, including recovery issues.
- Advising the insurer of one of Australia’s largest construction companies in respect of various professional services claims throughout the world, including Grand Jury investigations in the US and resultant claims.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- The Commercial Law Association of Australia
- Law Society of NSW
- Caason Investments v Cao: the test case for market-based causation? – IYIR, 2014
- Innocent until proven guilty: company officers’ rights to defence costs under deeds of indemnity – IYIR, 2014
- Section 54: It is all in the Act – IYIR, 2015
- Causation: Is it still relevant to class actions? – IYIR, 2015
- Court Rejects Common Fund – for now – IYIR, 2015
- Australia adopts market-based causation (aka fraud on the market) for the first time
- High Court Clarifies Section 54
- Recognised as a key player in insurance law – The Legal 500, Asia-Pacific, 2016
- Recognised as a key contact in insurance law – The Legal 500, Asia-Pacific, 2015