Paul has specialised in insurance litigation and dispute resolution for 18 years and leads the firm’s Brisbane office. He has broad expertise across general liability, financial lines, as well as property & energy.
Paul regularly advises and acts for local and international insurers, underwriting agencies and third party claims administrators in key industry sectors, including government, and has specialist knowledge in public and products liability, professional indemnity, property, contract works/construction and subrogated recoveries.
Experienced in conducting claims in various Australian jurisdictions including Federal, Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Paul is widely regarded for his service-oriented, considered and pragmatic approach to all aspects of the dispute resolution process.
Paul is an active committee member of the Property & Liability Discussion Group in NSW, and a regular contributor to key industry publications.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Property damage (3rd Party)
- Professional Indemnity
- Construction and Contract Works
- Healthcare Professional Liability (Med Mal)
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Consumer Goods
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Services
- Sport Leisure & Entertainment
- Successfully defending a government agency against an alleged failure to adequately inspect, maintain and repair an underground utility which catastrophically failed and damaged a pile wall at an adjacent development site.
- Successfully resolving various third party claims on behalf of a government agency following a landslip caused by a defect in an underground utility.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a nuclear engineering company involved in the design and construction of a nuclear power facility.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a construction company engaged to install a ventilation system in a medical facility.
- Advising the plant insurer of a crane which collapsed on a construction site and managing the subsequent subrogated recovery against third parties.
- Managing a recovery action on behalf of a multinational construction company and its insurer to recover losses from third parties for negligent manufacture, design and works.
- Acting for members of a contractor’s alliance pursuant to a principal arranged insurance scheme in personal injury claims in the context of occupier’s liability and industrial accidents.
- Acting for the liability insurer and operator of immigration detention facilities in claims by former detainees who allegedly sustained psychiatric injury while in detention.
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Claims Discussion Group NSW
- Law Society of NSW & QLD
- Property and Liability Discussion Group (Committee member)
- Establishing Causation. It’s a necessary step for success – IYIR, 2014
- Insurers can be joined to a PIPA proceeding as contributors: Shapcott v W.R. Berkley Insurance (Europe) Ltd – IYIR, 2015
- Gratuitous care in Queensland – a new interpretation of the six for six threshold – IYIR, 2015
- Deliberately taking a risk can still be an ‘accident’
- What is sufficient knowledge for the purpose of a road authority’s immunity from civil liability?
- Personal injury hypothetical – claimant with a gripe about grapes
- Construction Bulletin – April 2014