Raisa is a partner of Wotton + Kearney in the Brisbane office. She has practised in insurance and commercial litigation for over a decade, with a core focus on financial lines across a range of industry sectors.
Raisa has broad expertise in professional indemnity, particularly relevant to valuers, financial advisors, accountants, engineers, builders and architects. She also has significant experience in D&O claims (including acting for directors in class actions), management liability (including EPL) and environmental insurance.
She regularly advises insurers on a range of indemnity and subrogated recovery issues and is widely regarded for her technical proficiency, as well as her personable and adaptable approach to complex matters.
Raisa is a regular publisher and speaker and was recognised as an Insurance Business Young Gun of the Year in 2014. She qualified as an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation with the Law Society of New South Wales in 2011.
Raisa was named in the Doyles Guide 2016 and 2017 as a recommended practitioner in the area of professional indemnity.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Directors & Officers
- Management Liability
- Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation or Prosecution
- Environmental & Agricultural Impairment
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Services
- Acting for the owner of a quarry in the Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry, in which the quarry was cleared of any wrongdoing.
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel on professional negligence claims against valuers in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel on professional negligence claims against a range of financial professionals (accountants, financial planners, mortgage brokers and stockbrokers).
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel on professional negligence claims against construction professionals including engineers, builders and architects.
- Defending claims against directors and officers in the Federal Court of Australia, including class actions and liquidator’s claims.
- Assisting companies and directors/officers to respond to investigative and other notices issued by ASIC and the ACCC, including representation at examinations and interviews and negotiating letters of comfort and undertakings.
- Indemnity advice under management liability policies, including in respect of claims by SMEs, law firms and local government authorities.
- Representing insureds in prosecutions brought by the NSW Environment Protection Authority and the Qld Department of Environment and Heritage Protection.
- Advising insurers on the operation of environmental liability policies and assisting insureds to implement remediation and monitoring programs in consultation with State EPA agencies.
- Drafting and advising on standard and bespoke policy wordings, including miscellaneous professions wordings, jewellery block wordings and club/association wordings.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- The Association for Women In Insurance
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals
- Law Society of Queensland
- Women Lawyers Association of Queensland Inc
- The Clean-up Cover
- The Consensual Claims Exclusion, Co-authored with Jaydon Burke-Douglas, 2016
- Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry, IYIR 2015
- The human cost of valuers’ negligence claims: Perera v Genworth Financial Mortgage Insurance P/L, IYIR 2015
- Timing and wording matters! A fresh look at the major shareholder exclusion, IYIR 2014
- Brothel burned over non-disclosure of outlaw bikie association, IYIR 2014
- Recent changes to Queensland building and construction industry legislation, IYIR 2014
- Melbourne City Investments: the business of litigation, IYIR 2014
- Look out below! Golden parachutes failing to deploy and the interaction with D&O cover, IYIR 2014
- Construction Bulletin – April 2014