About Rebecca Scott
Rebecca is a Partner in Wotton + Kearney’s Auckland office with over 15 years experience as an insurance lawyer specialising in insurance, professional liability and employment law.
Rebecca advises on a broad range of claims against professionals, including engineers, solicitors and accountants. She has expertise in coverage issues, particularly employment practices liability, professional indemnity, public and product liability and property insurance.
Rebecca’s employment practice handles personal grievances, managing bullying and disciplinary investigations and advising on employment processes. She manages a national employment practices liability scheme for a London underwriter.
Rebecca is approachable and responsive, and gives clear, pragmatic advice, focused on the issues that matter. She achieves effective and efficient outcomes for clients, including through mediation.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Management Liability
- General Litigation
- Product Liability
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Professions & Business Services
- Public Sector/Education
Rebecca Scott's Experience
- Successful defence of a constructive dismissal claim involving bullying by a senior teacher and staff incompatibility. The hearing attracted publicity within a small community and required sensitive handling of the school board members’ relationships.
- Acting for an employer in complete workplace breakdown with multiple personal grievances and disciplinary investigations. Managing external investigator, HR consultant and facilitator, liaison with employer board and insurer.
- Successful strike out of a fiduciary duty and Fair Trading Act 1986 claim against an accountant alleging misleading share valuation.
- Striking out a solicitors’ negligence claim on limitation grounds.
- Complex engineers’ liability and recovery claims concerning design and supply of defective mining and quarrying plant in South Australia. Managed multiple stakeholders including parent company, liquidators and business purchaser.
- Member of the New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- Not the Boys’ Club