Renae has more than 20 years’ experience representing insurers and their customers, managing large volume public liability and motor accident claims for major insurers with particular expertise in assessing complex claims for damages, including those involving brain and spinal injuries, as well as claims for psychiatric injury.
Renae has also developed significant experience representing insurers in Accident & Health claims including liaising with local and international experts to obtain evidence on life expectancy in relation to an infant plaintiff who had a significant pre-existing intellectual disability.
Renae has a reputation for being pragmatic and approachable. She is both results driven as well as strategic in her endeavour to deliver timely and commercial results for her clients, and is highly regarded and respected by her peers and the industry.
As an active member of the Australian Insurance Law Association, Renae has sat on their Education Committee for more than 8 years, and has presented a number of seminars including Law for Insurers, statutory lines and concurrent expert evidence. She currently sits on the Main Committee and is Chair of the Young Professionals Committee which hosts key networking events, including the annual Luminaries dinner and AILA’s famous GPO function. The YPs have also developed a soft-skills educational seminar series for young insurance professionals.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Life Accident & Health
- Property Damage
- Trade & Transport
- Health Care & Life Science
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Sports, Leisure & Entertainment
- Acting and successfully negotiating settlement in a matter involving multiple claimants, including children who allegedly sustained injury on account of toxic chemical exposure.
- Acting on behalf of large commercial insureds in multiple claims for damages which requires an understanding of commercial sensitivities specific to those particular insureds.
- Acting for a motor vehicle insurer in a claim where the quadriplegic plaintiff had pre-existing paraplegia. The claim involved complex medical and causation issues relating to the plaintiff’s Clinical presentation and resolved on extremely favourable terms for Renae’s client.
- Successfully retaining a verdict in the Court of Appeal following a Supreme Court judgment against a minor cyclist where there were significant variations in witnesses’ recollections.
- Negotiating settlement in a Compensation to Relatives claim where the deceased’s intoxication was so significant that it impacted on the assessment of contributory negligence. This was relevant to the plaintiffs’ entitlement to damages and could have defeated the claim itself.
- Liaising with local and international experts to obtain evidence on life expectancy in relation to an infant plaintiff who had a significant pre-existing intellectual disability.
- Acting in a claim made by a quadriplegic plaintiff injured in a mining accident. The claim involved complex technical and factual considerations and required close liaison with both the insured and experts in order to develop an understanding of technical specifications and processes.
- Australian Insurance Law Association (Main Committee Member and Chair of the Young Professionals Committee)
- Women in Insurance
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW