About Richard Flinn
Richard is a Partner in Wotton + Kearney’s Wellington office and has practiced in insurance law for over 10 years. He acts for insurers and their clients on a variety of disputes, with a focus on professional indemnity and management liability, including statutory liability and environmental impairment claims. Richard’s experience arises predominantly from the construction, agricultural and healthcare sectors.
An advocate for alternative dispute resolution, Richard believes strongly in proactive and constructive litigation management with a view to achieving commercial and efficient outcomes for his clients.
In addition to his experience in the civil and criminal jurisdictions, Richard has a wealth of experience acting in disciplinary matters for several types of professionals including healthcare providers, engineers, real estate agents and solicitors.
Richard is also handling a number of significant subrogated recoveries on behalf of insurers.
Areas of Expertise
- Management Liability
- Environmental & Agricultural Impairment
- Professional Indemnity
- General Liability
- Property & Energy
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Professions & Business Services
Richard Flinn's Experience
- Defended private insurers’ interests successfully in He v The Earthquake Commission  NZHC 2136.
- Successfully represented the interests of structural engineers and their insurers in major Building Act determination process involving multiple commercial buildings, and associated IPENZ disciplinary proceedings. Civil proceedings in connection with the same matter are ongoing.
- Procured the withdrawal of charges before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal arising from substantial procedural defects in the Professional Conduct Committee’s processes.
- Represented a number of other healthcare and other professionals in disciplinary investigations and proceedings, Privacy Act complaints, and Human Rights Review Tribunal matters.
- Represented the interests of a number of insurers of commercial buildings to settle claims for damages affected by Canterbury and Kaikoura earthquakes.
- Track record of achieving positive outcomes for agricultural and industrial operators and their clients in regulatory investigations and proceedings (including criminal and civil claims) involving actual and alleged environmental discharges.
- Representing on insurers’ instructions several operators, predominantly in the agricultural and forestry sectors, in the handling, defence, and sentencing of health and safety investigations and prosecutions, including a number of fatality matters.
- Defending a number of construction/property professionals including engineers, architects, valuers, surveyors, project managers, and real estate agents in various civil proceedings involving weather tightness and other building/construction defects.
- Acting for multiple insurers and insureds in the recovery of large-scale standing timber losses arising from various forest fires.
- Member of New Zealand Insurance Law Association (NZILA)