Richard has practised solely in insurance law for over 15 years, and has been integral to the growth of our Melbourne general liability practice.
With specialities in personal injury, workers liability and property damage, Richard regularly provides advice to insurers relating to complex indemnity issues and through this work is widely regarded for his exceptional defence and negotiation skills in highly technical matters. He has a special interest in Sports related injury claims and is a committee member of the Law Institute of Victoria Sports Law Committee
Richard has acted for underwriters in various subrogated recovery actions against contractors, suppliers and other third parties following loss, as well as defending property damage and fire claims made against product suppliers and manufacturers. He has had many years experience representing Transport companies in large scale vehicle claims.
Richard holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor or Science (Hons) majoring in Genetics from Monash University, which allows him to provide a unique perspective when dealing with engineering, science and technology based claims.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Workers Liability / Recovery
- Property Damage (3rd party)
- Product Recall
- Coverage (stand alone)
- Subrogation & Recoveries
- Trade & Transport (includes Marine)
- Consumer Goods
- Sports Leisure & Entertainment
- Transport & Marine
- Defending property damage and fire claims made against product suppliers and manufacturers.
- Defending property damage and fire claims arising from the supply of services.
- Acting for a large volume bulk wine producer to recover its loss and damage arising from the use of defective wine additives purchased from third parties.
- Acting for underwriters in various subrogated recovery actions against contractors, suppliers and other third parties following loss; examples include fire damage following a short circuit and subsequent electrical fire in a paper mill, flood damage following a pipe failure in an apartment complex, and acid clean-up costs occasioned by defective fork lift servicing.
- Heavy vehicle claims.
- Defending personal injury claims made against product suppliers and manufacturers.
- Defending dust diseases claims against product suppliers, occupiers and employers.
- Defending statutory recovery actions brought by the Victorian WorkCover Authority and the Transport Accident Commission and related serious injury applications and common law damages claims.
- Defending a range of public liability and occupiers’ liability claims brought against logistics companies, retirement villages and farmers.
- Advising underwriters in relation to claims involving goods damaged in transit.
- Indemnity advice on policy coverage and the operation of exclusion clauses and policy endorsements.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- The Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association