Robert acts for domestic and international insurers, as well as major corporations and has extensive experience in financial lines, coverage advice and disputes attained over the past 18 years. With a speciality in professional indemnity, he acts for engineers, architects, quantity surveyors, lawyers, accountants, financial advisers, fund managers, valuers, real estate agents and insurance brokers.
Robert’s practice also includes defamation and commercial litigation, and he regularly defends large complex litigated claims and conducts subrogated recovery actions across all Australian jurisdictions.
With a highly developed understanding of the operational and legal risks experienced by building and construction professionals, he is both pragmatic and commercial in his approach to the resolution of disputes and has earned a reputation for being accessible and responsive at all times.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Directors & Officers
- Construction & Contract Works
- Industrial Special Risks
- Subrogation & Recoveries
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Services
- Successful resolution of multiple claims brought by Owners Corporations against Auburn City Council concerning allegations of negligent certification of building works/fire protection services.
- Successful resolution of claim brought against leading geotechnical engineering firm with respect to a structural failure of the M1 tunnel in Sydney.
- Successful resolution of claim brought by Hunter Water against a major engineering firm concerning damages arising from the construction/installation of a 4.5km wastewater pipeline in Newcastle.
- Acting for Coffey Geotechnical Engineering with respect to multiple professional indemnity claims in various jurisdictions, including Australia and Canada.
- Acting in subrogated recovery actions (including a successful recovery arising from the Lane Cove Tunnel collapse).
- Advising insurers with respect to indemnity disputes arising from claims against building and construction and other professionals.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against architects, engineers and quantity surveyors.
- Advising insurers with respect to first party construction risk claims.
- Acting as coverage counsel in large complex infrastructure claims, including claims in Asia, Africa and South America.
- Acting for major construction corporations in defence of large complex infrastructure claims (including the Third Runway claim).
- Acting in defence of claims against fund managers involving claims of conversion, monies had and received, breach of duty and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against accountants and financial advisers.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against insurance brokers.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against valuers and real estate agents.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against lawyers.
- Acting in defence of trespass, nuisance and breach of privacy claims brought against process servers.
- Acting in defence of litigated defamation claims brought against professionals.
- Providing pre-publication defamation advice to publishers.
- Acting for insurers in defence of claims against agronomists.
- Advising insurers with respect to first party property claims.
- Advising and acting for corporations with respect to disputes arising from franchise, agency and commercial contracts.
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- NSW Engineering Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW