Samantha works in Wotton + Kearney’s General Liability team and has a broad range of experience across public and products liability, professional indemnity, fraud, construction and third party recovery claims. She regularly acts for national and international insurers and their insured customers including large multinationals self insureds, financial institutions, manufacturers, sporting organisations, building and engineering professionals.
Samantha’s unique expertise lies in managing multi-facet litigation, including the provision of secondary opinions on strategy for complex and high value claims. Currently, Samantha is advising on a claim in the Federal Court of Australia, which involves four sets of proceedings and 31 parties which has already been the subject of a Coronial Inquiry.
Of particular interest to Samantha is investigating fraud claims, whether it’s an overstatement of value, the identity of the insured, or the involvement of criminal activities.
Samantha has undertaken a secondment as legal counsel in one of the big four banks of Australia in both its Melbourne and Sydney offices during her time at a large national firm which has given her a solid understanding of clients commercial needs of financial institutions.
She is also an active volunteer in the firms pro bono activities with numerous charities including Oz Harvest and Surf Life Saving Australia.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Fraud, Crime & Terrorism
- Property & Energy
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Sports Leisure & Entertainment
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Regularly acting for a major insurer’s Fraud Investigation Unit in relation to fraudulent claims and the recovery of monies paid by mistake.
- Assisting a large multi-national insurer in multiple proceedings and providing advice on indemnity in light of criminal proceedings against their Insureds.
- Obtaining full recovery of a property damage claim (both insured and uninsured losses) as a result of extensive fire damage without commencing Court proceedings.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- Claims Discussion Group
- Engineering Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW