About Sierra Ryland
Sierra is a Senior Associate in Wotton + Kearney’s Wellington office with over 9 years’ experience as a commercial and civil litigator and in dispute resolution.
She specialises in professional indemnity insurance and defending scheme participants in a number of areas, including construction, medico-legal, employment, legal and accounting, and is part of the New Zealand cyber-law team.
Sierra has particular experience advising on privacy risks and breaches. She is also very passionate about defamation law.
Sierra has appeared in the District and High Court as well as attending judicial settlement conferences, mediations and specialist tribunal hearings.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Cyber & Data Security
- Healthcare Professional Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Professionals & Business Services
- Technology & Cyber
Sierra Ryland's Experience
- Representing psychologists and psychotherapists in respect of complaints to and by their governing bodies. A large part of this work involves managing the disciplinary process in a way that minimises the stress to the practitioner and working effectively towards a resolution.
- Representing medical practitioners before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Representing construction parties in large-scale leaky building litigation in the High Court. This involves managing the discovery of documents, preparing briefs of evidence for both fact and expert witnesses as well as coordinating expert involvement in remedial works.
- Providing coverage advice to insurers with respect to the emergence of claims under their cyber policies.
- Assisting with the coordination of other experts, such as IT and loss adjustors, on cyber policies.
- Representing employers with respect to personal grievance claims brought by employees and attending employment mediations. This involves providing a cost effective solution to the client, given that the costs of litigation can often outweigh the employees’ settlement expectations.
- Member of the New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- Member of Not The Boys Club
- Wellington Medico-Legal Society