Suzanne is an experienced Financial Lines lawyer with a specialty in professional indemnity, employment law, management liability and directors and officers’ claims.
In the professional indemnity context, she advises insurers and their professional services customers including financial advisors, lawyers, stockbrokers, accountants, insurance brokers, IT professionals and real estate agents in a variety of legal forums ranging from the Financial Ombudsman Service to the Supreme Court. As part of developing her expertise in the financial services sector, she has completed a Diploma of Financial Planning.
Suzanne also acts in various management liability matters, including employment practice claims before the Fair Work Commission and the Federal Circuit Court. She has experience defending claims against Associations, Clubs and directors where breaches of the Corporations Act 2001 are alleged, including breaches of directors’ duties and insolvent trading claims.
She has completed two secondments working as a Senior Claims Specialist with a large international insurer and developed a detailed and practical understanding of what is important to an insurer in managing claims and the results they the claims teams are looking to achieve. She regularly advises insurers on complex indemnity issues.
Having practiced in Victoria and NSW, Suzanne has acquired extensive experience before courts and tribunals in both jurisdictions and worked as an Associate at the County Court of Victoria.
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Indemnity
- Management Liability
- Directors and Officers
- Construction & Contract Works
- General Insurance and litigation
- Financial Institutions & Services
- Professions & Business Solutions
- Acting for the professional indemnity claims insurers in respect of claims arising out of the collapse of the Trio Capital / Astarra group.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurers of various investment advisory groups in respect of several multi-million dollar representative proceedings.
- Acting for directors of an independent school (on instructions from management liability insurers) in defending a multi-million dollar insolvent trading claim.
- Representing a financial advisory firm whose authorised representative defrauded clients of more than $2 million in funds. Claims were brought by multiple former clients through both the Financial Ombudsman Service and in court litigated proceedings.
- Acting for directors and officers (on instructions from insurers) in various management liability matters including adverse action claims and Worksafe Victoria Investigations.
- Defending a defamation claim brought against a local council employee.
- Handling professional negligence claims for one of Australia’s largest private client stockbroking organisations.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurers and the insured to recover monies fraudulently misappropriated by an insured’s employee, including obtaining freezing orders in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Acting in unfair preference claims, including claims for indemnity against directors brought by the Commissioner of Taxation.
- Handling claims involving ASIC and other regulatory enquiries.
- Acting for a structural and civil engineer in Supreme Court proceedings commenced in the Construction and Technology List regarding a multi-million pool construction dispute.
- Acting for reinsurers in relation to major losses concerning one of Australia’s “Big 4” banks.
- Acting for structural engineers in the multi-million dollar residential building defects claim in VCAT and representing the client at the mediation and settlement conference.
- Acting for an overseas insurer in respect of alleged breaches of binder arrangements by a local coverholder.
- Acting for a local councillor in an appeal from disciplinary misconduct findings at Panel level.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Women in Insurance