For over a decade, William has specialised in insurance law and now leads our General Liability team in Perth. His passion for the sector has equipped him with skills to handle a diverse range of claims for key industry clients.
William specialises in personal injury, building and occupational health and safety disputes, public and occupiers’ liability, as well as property damage claims. He has acted in multiple claims involving injuries (sometimes catastrophic) sustained through the use of malfunctioning vertical and horizontal transport systems.
William acts for, and defends, many local and international insurers in both litigated and non-litigated disputes. He also advises clients on contractual indemnity, dual insurance and policy coverage issues.
William regularly appears at mediations and in courtrooms in multiple jurisdictions representing local councils, manufacturers and occupiers. He also has a keen interest in sporting-related disputes, having acted for a large sport-based insurer.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Workers Liability/Recovery
- Property Damage (3rd party)
- Product Liability & Recall
- Medical Malpractice
- Coronials, Inquiries & Prosecutions
- Fire & Flood
- Natural Catastrophe
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Consumer Goods
- Energy & Mining
- Property & Real Estate
- Professions & Business Solutions
- Sports Leisure & Entertainment
- Trade & Transport
- Acting on behalf of insurers for a West Australian crane operator in relation to damage sustained whilst the crane was in transit from Western Australia to Queensland.
- Acting on behalf of insurers of an international oil and gas service company based in Western Australia in relation to alleged significant injuries sustained by a worker at its premises whilst loading containers.
- Acting on behalf of insurers of an engineering firm specialising in energy integration and building automation in relation to alleged negligence during the construction of a premises in Perth, Western Australia.
- Defending claims on behalf of builders, scaffolders, crane operators, manufacturers and elevator maintenance providers in relation to construction site injuries, breaches of occupational health and safety legislation and fatalities.
- Acting in multiple claims involving injuries (sometimes catastrophic) sustained through the use of malfunctioning vertical and horizontal transport systems.
- Acting on behalf of a large insurer of sporting organisations in the defence of claims involving injuries sustained to participants in a variety of sports, including personal trainers, cyclists and football and basketball players.
- Defending statutory recovery actions brought by the Victorian WorkCover Authority and the Transport Accident Commission including related Serious Injury Applications and common law actions for damages.
- Representing a large manufacturer of building products in a group proceeding where contribution was being sought from another manufacturer in relation to over 200 claims brought by injured workers at Victoria’s Latrobe Valley power stations.
- Advising underwriters of road, rail, sea and air carriers in relation to claims involving goods damaged in transit, including subrogated recovery actions against liable third parties.
- Defending a large vegetation management provider in a class action involving property damage arising out of the 2014 Mickleham bushfire.
- Advising US, Israeli and Japanese manufacturers of industrial products on their potential liabilities under Australia’s occupational health and safety laws.
- Defending a range of public liability and occupiers’ liability claims brought against Victorian Councils, recreational and sporting organisations, manufacturers, builders and nightclub owners.
- Acting in a number of complex and multi-party toxic tort claims including claims involving injury and death as a consequence of exposure to asbestos and silica dust.
- Current Tribunal Member, West Australian Football League Tribunal (WAFL)
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Western Australia
- Building Dispute Practitioners’ Society
- The Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals Australia & New Zealand
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Australasian Lawyers Surfing Association
- The Piddington Society
- Melbourne Marine Insurance Forum
- Claims Discussion Group (Victoria)