Insurance – it’s not just cars and homes. Insurance is everywhere: class actions, catastrophic events and sensitive cases making news headlines. Trust us when we say that Insurance Law is fascinating.
The insurance market is a rapidly changing local and global market. We’re the law firm that local and global insurers, brokers and other industry participants turn to for help in managing traditional and emerging risks and disputes that range from the everyday to market-leading claims.
When big companies suffer loss or get sued our clients get the call. They call us because we’re the best at what we do (our partners are routinely recognised amongst Australia’s best lawyers and we’re ranked as a Band 1 insurance law firm in the legal directories).
Your pathway to a top-tier legal career
We don’t do clerkships. We think our Pathways Program is the best way to build your legal skills and commercial acumen. It’s your opportunity to sink your teeth into large-scale litigation, get mentorship from some of the best minds in the business and grow with a firm that is dedicated to relationships, excellence and diversity.
You’ll join W+K as a paralegal, working part-time during your final year of your law degree. As a Pathways paralegal, you will:
- be assigned to a champion team of lawyers who are invested in your career development
- get straight into complex, interesting and cutting-edge matters and take on all of the tasks commensurate with a paralegal role – you won’t be bored!
- gain exposure to leading local and global clients
- work alongside recognised experts and be allocated a supervisor who will help you manage your workload
- have a “buddy” you can go to for advice and answers
- keep up-to-date with the latest legal and insurance industry developments through regular seminars and workshops; and
- attend social and networking events.
Paralegal experience will help you develop legal research and writing, communication and interpersonal skills. You will also gain analytical skills, organisational skills, and an increased ability to recognise legal issues and exercise legal judgment – these are the necessary skills to put you at the front of the queue for a W+K graduate position.
If you go on to take up a graduate position with us, we will also offer:
- College of Law funding and other forms of study support
- above-market remuneration
- incentive rewards to increase your remuneration
- involvement in our pro-bono program and CSR initiatives; and
- a whole host of awesome perks.
What we want from you…
We expect our Pathways paralegals to be:
- passionate about contributing to the premier insurance legal team in Australia
- high achieving, hard workers
- team players (of course!)
- curious about their learning and self-development as well as clients and their businesses
- team players; and
- open to working with new technologies and systems.
The selection process
These are the steps in our recruitment process:
- 20 December – applications open and are submitted to email@example.com
- 31 January – applications close
- 3-7 February – applications short-listed through “blind” assessment process
- w/c 10 February – interviews with two lawyers
- mid-February – offers made to successful candidates
- w/c 24 February – “O-week” your orientation week for life at Wotton + Kearney
- w/c 3 March – start your pathways career.
How to apply
Applications for W+K’s Pathways Program for final year law students are now open. Tell us in a cover letter why you want to be part of the team that ‘gets the call’ and apply online now.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or questions.