Adam Chylek is a senior Partner at Wotton + Kearney with more than 20 years experience operating exclusively in insurance. Adam leads W+K’s property & energy team and also has extensive experience in financial lines claims. Consistently recognised as a Legal 500 Key Player in insurance law, he is widely acknowledged in Australia as an expert in market management on major losses where parties are located both locally and abroad.
Adam is the lead adviser for many of the firm’s largest Australian, European and North American insurer clients operating in the Property/ Mining/ Energy/ Power classes and regularly advises on complex indemnity disputes. As an example of his expertise, he was the principal lawyer appointed on all of the firm’s instructions out of the Queensland Floods and the Christchurch Earthquakes, including running the Catastrophe Response team which is deployed to roles throughout the region.
Adam has an extensive Valuer’s Professional Indemnity practice and acts for most of the London Underwriters and the local Australian-domiciled insurers writing this class of business. He is currently defending some of the largest litigated claims against valuers in the Australian market. He also handles a significant book of claims against financial advisers for a range of professional indemnity insurers.
Adam successfully ran the pivotal case of ACE Insurance Ltd v Moose Enterprise Pty Ltd  NSWSC 724, which is now the leading Australian authority on choice of law and jurisdiction clauses in insurance policies.
- Running the largest Catastrophe response project in the firm’s history, with a team of 10 lawyers assisting offshore insurers with their exposure to some of the largest losses in Christchurch arising out of the earthquakes in late 2010/early 2011, including damage to education facilities; public healthcare assets/aged care facilities; commercial buildings (including a large CBD office tower which was the largest demolition job in Christchurch); shopping malls; and hotels.
- That project has involved advising on complex and novel material damage and business interruption policy response issues, advising on strategic settlement decisions, and facilitating agreement with coinsurers and reinsurers on major multi building/location losses.
- Regularly advising panels of insurers of some of the largest ISR insurance programmes across Australia involving losses at mines, processing plants, factories/warehouses and power generation/transition facilities.
- Appointed by insurers (and national networks of Insureds) on professional indemnity claims against valuers; and
- Successfully running the seminal case of ACE Insurance Ltd v Moose Enterprise Pty Ltd  NSWSC 724, which is now the leading Australian authority on choice of law and jurisdiction clauses in insurance policies.
- Commercial Property
- Construction + Contract Works
- Industrial Special Risks
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of NSW