Alana specialises in complex claims that require a strategic approach and close management of stakeholder relationships. Her Australian and New Zealand experience spans professional indemnity, directors & officers, cyber, property and ISR, and construction and contract works.
Alana acts for both local and international clients, providing coverage advice and acting as defence counsel in litigated and non-litigated disputes. She also advises on regulatory and legislative changes, and common law developments. Her experience extends to drafting insurance products, including policy wording, extensions and endorsements, as well as localising international products for the Australian and New Zealand markets.
Earlier in her career Alana spent a number of years working at two global insurers, including as the New Zealand claims manager responsible for large value and technically challenging claims. This experience shaped her deep understanding of how to advance the interests of insurers and achieve timely commercial results. She has also managed many complex claims for large Australian financial institutions, as well as claims arising from natural catastrophes (earthquakes and weather events) and royal commissions.
Alana is a confident public speaker, has experience advising global Boards, and has delivered many seminars and fundamentals classes to underwriting, claims and broking teams.
- Acting as lead insurer in managing the claims portfolio for a global real estate services firm. This portfolio required a close working relationship with follow insurers, the insured, its broker and local defence counsel in the different jurisdictions in which claims were made.
- Successfully defending litigated proceedings in the Supreme Court of New South Wales against an international property services company regarding the management of a mixed-use development in North Sydney.
- Acting for an Australian Financial Services Licensees licensee regarding
- a number of separate claims by investors arising from the collapse of various agricultural managed investment schemes
- Australian Financial Complaints Authority matters including complaints arising from Managed Investment Schemes, Self-Managed Superannuation Funds and tax minimisation strategies, and
- civil and appellate proceedings arising from external dispute resolution processes.
- Acting for an accounting company regarding an error calculating statutory entitlements.
- Advising on indemnity and acting as defence counsel in claims against a range of professionals, including accountants, financial planners, valuers, real estate agents and engineers.
- Managing complaints and litigated matters involving insurers as defendants, including in internal and alternate dispute resolution claims.
- Acting for a Queensland-based broking firm following a declinature of indemnity arising out of the 2011 Queensland floods.
- Defending a firm of design engineers whose development design allegedly caused damage to the neighbouring property and house.
- Acting on behalf of an insured Principal Certifying Authority in proceedings brought in the Supreme Court of NSW regarding certain building and fire safety defects allegedly certified as ‘safe’ by the insured.
- Providing construction and engineering clients with general contract review advice, focusing on clauses that may offend the clients’ insurance regime and identifying potentially onerous or problematic clauses in design and construct, consultancy agreements or standard form contracts.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Representative Actions
- Risk Management Society: New Zealand and Pacific Islands Chapter; Chair of the Events Sub-Committee
- Australasian Professional Indemnity Group: inaugural National Committee Member of the New Zealand Chapter
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association