Amanda Beattie is the Head of Class Actions. She is an outstanding class actions defence lawyer and commercial litigator. In class actions, she has acted for financial institutions, professional services firms and government departments, including in multiple actions being heard concurrently. Her broader litigation experience includes large-scale commercial arbitration and litigation, ASIC investigations and Royal Commissions.
Amanda is known for her ability to run novel, large-scale litigation through to trial in multiple jurisdictions on any subject matter, particularly where managing teams, processes, voluminous documents and reputational risk is essential. She has particular experience in the highly regulated financial services sector and the public sector, having defended the Department of Defence, Multiplex, Westpac, Citibank, Colonial, Suncorp and NAB.
Amanda has also worked in both Australia and Hong Kong, and has a passion for supporting the people around her through formal mentoring, development and welfare activities.
- Defending the Department of Defence in class actions regarding contamination from firefighting foam at Defence bases around the country.
- Acting for Multiplex in a shareholder class action in the Federal Court.
- Defending Westpac in the Storm Financial class action in the Federal Court, including being responsible for discovery and evidence.
- Acting for PwC in Supreme Court litigation, defending an audit negligence claim in the class action relating to the collapse of Provident Capital.
- Acting for Citibank in the Financial Services Royal Commission and mis-selling proceedings.
- Acting for Suncorp in the Financial Services Royal Commission.
- Acting for Colonial in two ASIC civil penalty proceedings in the Federal Court.
- Defending Healius (formerly Primary Health Care) in Federal Court proceedings regarding Part 8-1 of the Income Tax Assessment Act.
- Acting for NAB in Supreme Court proceedings regarding film financing.
- Advising various clients, including financial institutions, in relation to regulatory investigations.
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Law Society of New South Wales