Andrew helps clients with financial lines insurance and professional indemnity matters. He is particularly sought out by clients where incidents lead to construction-related claims, both in Australia and internationally. Multi-national insurers turn to him to defend claims against architects, structural and geotechnical engineers, building surveyors, draftspersons and others in the construction, property and real estate industries.
Highly regarded in the building list of VCAT, Andrew is adept at providing construction-based coverage advice to insurers and is known for his experience in running complex technical disputes.
Andrew also assists insurers and their insured clients in professional indemnity claims across a wide range of professions – like matters involving property developers, lawyers, real estate agents, financial planners and mortgage brokers.
Andrew is recognised as a leading Melbourne lawyer for Insurance Law by The Best Lawyers Australia 2022.
Construction & Contract Risks
- Acting for an engineer who allegedly caused more than a $8 million loss because of the poor design of a commercial processing facility, obtaining an early cost-effective resolution after adopting an aggressive interlocutory approach.
- Acting for numerous building surveyors on their alleged negligent conduct in issuing building permits, conducting inspections and issuing certificates of occupancy for the construction of domestic dwellings.
- Acting for numerous structural engineers on their alleged negligent footing design for particular soil profiles, including those requiring the application of general engineering principles.
- Acting for an architect who allegedly failed to consider the ultimate cost of construction when designing a multi-storey development.
- Advising insurers on indemnity matters arising out of alleged structural defects under structural defects policies.
- Construction + Contract Works
- Environmental Liability
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professions + Business Services
- Small Medium Enterprises (SME)
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Building Disputes Practitioners Society
- Law Institute of Victoria