Andrew is the Head of Financial Lines. He has acted for insurers and their insureds for over 25 years. He has a particular focus on directors and officers liability and professional indemnity claims.
Due to Andrew’s track record coordinating and managing large-scale litigation, he is often asked to advise on complex and high-value disputes. His technical expertise and ability to be both strategic and hands-on ensures he delivers favourable outcomes for clients.
Andrew has been recognised since 2012 as a leading insurance and malpractice lawyer in Australia by Chambers Asia-Pacific, Legal 500, Best Lawyers Australia and Doyles. Clients comment “he’s just technically excellent” and “he provides very strong technical advice and always makes himself available.”
Andrew was a member of the National Committee of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group for 15 years and plays a key role in leading conversations on future challenges facing the insurance industry. He is regularly invited by clients to present on emerging trends in financial lines claims.
Directors + Officers
- Defending CEOs against misleading and deceptive conduct claims and crime/fidelity losses.
- Advising D&O and professional indemnity insurers about claims following the collapse of managed investment schemes, and losses by hedge funds, financial planners and accountants.
- Acting for executive and non-executive directors in the Special Commission of Inquiry into the sale of NSW electricity assets.
Management Liability (including EPL)
- Advising management liability insurers on claims against companies, directors and officers across a swathe of industries, and companies about a variety of employment practices liability claims.
- Advising management liability insurers about the representation of directors and officers at OHS presentations, ASIC investigations and ICAC enquiries.
- Advising professional indemnity and management liability insurers on claims arising out of the sale of CDOs and other derivative type instruments.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurer of a multinational engineering company following the failure of two gas fired power stations where claims exceeded $30 million.
- Advising contract works insurers and design and construct contractors on $100 million+ claims from delays and failures of critical infrastructure projects, including coverage issues and recovery options.
- Acting on behalf of a design and construction contractor on the catastrophic failure of a waste processing plant. This claim involved defending a $60 million claim by the principal and seeking to recover the contractor’s losses from its design engineer and insurers.
- Coverage advice for first party on-site and contractors’ pollution insurance claims, EPA prosecution matters, third-party environmental liability claims and recoveries on matters ranging from storing regulated waste without a licence to releasing contaminants into the environment and causing environmental harm.
- Advising insurers about coverage issues, quantum and the insureds’ liability for clean-up costs after high-profile chemical and fuel spills, including reporting and liaising with EPA agencies, and advising on prosecutions and recovery options.
- Class Actions
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Environmental Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Warranty + Indemnity
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Marine + Transport
- Professions + Business Services
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- Law Society of New South Wales