Andrew is a Special Counsel in Wotton + Kearney’s Auckland office with over 10 years’ experience in New Zealand and the London market. He has worked in the insurance sector since 2010 when he joined the Auckland team. Andrew has completed secondments with three international insurers assisting their Contracts, Outsourcing and Data Protection team and their claims teams respectively.
Andrew specialises in first party losses advising local and international insurers and reinsurers on complex indemnity disputes in New Zealand and the South Pacific including Fiji. He also regularly advises on subrogated recoveries. Andrew has been recognised as a ‘Next Generation Lawyer’ by The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific since 2016, an ‘Up and Coming’ individual in Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2021 and was named in the inaugural NZ Lawyer Rising Stars list for 2020.
- Advising insurers on New Zealand’s leading case for policy interpretation (Firm PI 1 Limited v Zurich Australian Insurance Limited  NZSC 147).
- Successfully defending various Lloyd’s Syndicates from claims arising from the Canterbury Earthquakes (He v The Earthquake Commission and Ors  NZCA 373).
- Advising reinsurers on material non-disclosure and misrepresentation issues following claims under a loss development policy.
- Advising the follow market on their rights and obligations in significant High Court proceedings.
- Acting for insurers and their insureds in various high value recovery proceedings.
- Advising (re)insurers on material damage / business interruption claims following the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Commercial Property
- Construction + Contract Works
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Property + Real Estate