Chantal is a highly regarded insurance litigator known for her work in the areas of personal injury, property damage and product liability. She is widely regarded as a standout practitioner who is engaging and technically proficient, and who takes a strategic approach to resolving complex matters as swiftly and cost-effectively as possible.
Chantal has broad industry experience, having advised shopping centre owners/managers, REITs, manufacturers, construction companies and engineering companies on personal injury claims. She regularly advises engineering companies, contractors and corporate landowners on property damage claims. She also advises manufacturers and other parties in the product supply chain on product recalls and associated claims.
Chantal regularly conducts litigation in the Supreme, County and Magistrates’ Courts of Victoria, as well as the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- Acting for a shopping centre owner in the Victorian Court of Appeal (and in a special leave application before the High Court) in a claim for personal injury involving a ‘Santa Claus’ actor who alleged that he had been assaulted whilst working at the centre (Bainbridge v James & Anor).
- Advising a leading Australian property manager in the Victorian Supreme Court regarding a claim for statutory reimbursement of compensation and indemnification made against it by the Victorian Workcover Authority (VWA v Jones Lang LaSalle (Vic) Pty Ltd).
- Acting for a shopping centre owner in the Victorian County Court regarding a claim for personal injury involving an entrant who was injured when he fell from an elevated walkway (Stallard v Sunbury Shopping Centre Pty Ltd).
- Acting in a multi-party action for an electrician with respect to a fire which allegedly arose out in the defective works carried out on the main switchboard as part of large scale upgrade works carried out at the site.
- Providing coverage advice regarding an international entity’s involvement in the design and installation of complex manufacturing plant for one of Victoria’s primary dairy suppliers and issues that arose during testing and commissioning.
- Providing coverage advice and representing a range of manufacturers and installers of equipment such as air-conditioning and electrical systems regarding property damage claims, including consideration of the application of the proportionate liability regime under Part IVAA of the Wrongs Act 1958 (Vic).
- Representing head contractors and sub-contractors in property damage claims arising out of construction projects.
- Providing coverage advice and representing chemical manufacturers in claims for damage to products, such as agricultural sprays and labels manufactured using their chemicals.
- Acting for a well-known paint manufacturer with respect to the contamination of one of its major paint bases and the subsequent claims arising from its mixture with other paint.
- Acting in a claim arising out of contaminated meatballs, including investigating the source of the contamination and advising the recall insurer regarding coverage.
- General Liability
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Property + Real Estate
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- The Association for Women in Insurance