Charu is an experienced financial lines coverage and defence practitioner. She has advised and represented local, global and London-market insurers and their insureds in directors & officers and management liability, professional indemnity, environmental liability and fidelity claims.
Charu has previously worked for a large commercial firm in the UK and has undertaken several secondments to a major international insurer in Sydney and London. She brings a client-focused, commercial approach to her practice by anticipating the practical needs of insurers and fostering constructive relationships with brokers and insureds to effectively resolve claims.
In defence, she is a strong litigator and always seeks to employ alternative dispute resolution processes at an early stage to explore options for a swift resolution and to narrow the scope of issues in dispute.
- Advising a major international insurer on coverage issues arising out of the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry concerning the numerous major banks, superannuation funds, insurers and other financial institutions that it insured at both the primary and excess layers under D&O and professional indemnity policies.
- Providing coverage advice to an insurer for a claim by a financial institution arising out of an ATO audit involving a global master policy and local Australian policy. Charu negotiated a resolution with the insured to the coverage dispute. The claimed quantum exceeded $1.7 million with the potential for substantial future losses.
- Representing a firm of financial advisors and their insurer in relation to 30 plus related claims lodged with the Financial Ombudsman Service in the UK. Charu prepared submissions to the Ombudsman and obtained expert reports on the financial products involved. The claimed quantum exceeded £4 million.
- Representing an architect in the defence of an unlitigated claim following the collapse of a building. Charu persuaded the claimant not to pursue the claim following informal negotiations.
- Representing a building certifier in defence of proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW brought by a strata corporation against multiple defendants. Charu persuaded the strata corporation to discontinue proceedings against the building certifier via informal negotiations. The claimed quantum exceeded $2 million.
- Acting for a European drilling rig manufacturer in the Supreme Court of NSW proceedings on a collapse of a drilling rig. Charu drafted pleadings, briefed an expert engineer, prepared lay affidavits, and appeared at interlocutory hearings. Achieved settlement in which the co-defendant indemnified insured and took over conduct of defence. The claimed quantum exceeded $1 million.
Directors & Officers
- Representing a sole director and majority shareholder in defence of a minority shareholder oppression claim in the Supreme Court of NSW. Charu briefed counsel and experts in property and business valuations, accounting and directors’ remuneration and took extensive lay affidavits. The claimed quantum exceeded $40 million and the claim was successfully resolved at a mediation.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for various insurers in relation to ASIC investigations, class actions and parliamentary inquiries concerning collapsed companies or breach of continuous disclosure obligations.
- Cyber + Data Security
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Women in Insurance