Chris is an experienced professional indemnity and employment practices lawyer with particular expertise in the healthcare, aged care and education sectors.
Chris represents medical practitioners, allied health professionals and healthcare organisations in the full range of legal issues affecting the sector. This includes employment disputes, medical negligence proceedings, coronial inquests, and disciplinary and regulatory investigations.
Chris provides advice to individual professionals and employers in workplace disputes and investigations. This includes unfair dismissal and general protections applications, discrimination and harassment claims, and occupational health and safety prosecutions. Chris also advises employers on how to minimise their workplace risk in the context of organisational restructures and managing difficult employees.
Chris previously managed a nationwide portfolio of employment practices, statutory liability and professional indemnity claims for direct and brokered clients in the healthcare, aged care and education sectors while working in-house at Catholic Church Insurance. This included day to day management of Catholic Church Insurance’s response to the Aged Care Royal Commission and Disability Royal Commission. Chris has also completed a secondment with Avant Insurance Ltd.
- End to end management of employment practices, professional indemnity, public liability and statutory liability claims in all Australian states and territories.
- Managing a nationwide portfolio of liability claims for direct and brokered clients in the health, aged care, education, disability, youth work and welfare sectors while working in-house at insurer Catholic Church Insurance.
- Working in the health and aged care sectors for medical indemnity insurers, general practice and specialist clinics, and public and private health services to provide advice on:
- medical negligence proceedings;
- unfair dismissal and general protections applications;
- disciplinary and regulatory claims, including AHPRA and National Board investigations (Medical, Nursing and Midwifery, Physiotherapy, Psychology, Pharmacy, Optometry and Dental Boards), Medicare audits and workplace investigations;
- coronial inquests;
- appeals of medical college decisions;
- discrimination, harassment and bullying claims;
- preparing employment contracts and workplace policies; and
- privacy compliance, management of health records and healthcare advertising regulations.
- Employment Practices Liability
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Australasian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG)
- Law Society of Victoria