David is a specialist financial lines insurance lawyer based in Sydney. He has a keen focus on the indemnity and liability issues associated with financial services including banks, financial advisors and superannuation providers.
David advises on a wide range of insurance issues including directors & officers, financial services and professional indemnity insurance products. He provides advice on both liability and indemnity issues as well as representing Insurers’ interests in subrogated litigation disputes.
Prior to joining the team, David gained extensive experience working for the Insurance team at both a large national firm and international firm. He has acted on behalf of a wide range of clients including insurers, insureds and self-insureds and has defended professionals from all industries ranging from engineers to pest inspectors. David has been involved in a wide range of litigation in Courts of all levels in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania as well as the Federal and High Court.
David has been named a Rising Star in Australasian Lawyer’s 2020 Rising Star List and winner in the Insurance Category of the 2020 Lawyers Weekly “30 Under 30”. David was the winner of the Lawyers Weekly “30 Under 30” Pro Bono Category in 2018 as well as being a finalist in 2019.
Directors & Officers
- Advising underwriters on coverage and managing defence counsel in respect of a series of claims brought against high profile IT Company seeking $345 million.
- Defending directors of a pharmaceutical company against a class action alleging breach of continuous disclosure obligations following failure to obtain FDA clearance.
- Defending the directors and officers of a mining speculation company in the Supreme Court of New South Wales regarding a $5m convertible note issue and allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Defending proceedings brought directly against Insurers across multiple policy years in respect of conduct of a financial planner in the Supreme Court worth an estimated $7 million.
- Running proceedings for underwriters in the Federal Court and on appeal to the Full Federal Court in relation to a coverage dispute concerning a design and construction policy worth an estimated $3 million.
- Advising a major global insurer on coverage and management of a class action involving Australia’s offshore detention regime, with the class action’s quantum alleged to be worth upwards of $500 million and assisting the client to drive this to a highly satisfactory resolution.
- Advising Underwriters on coverage for a multinational insurer regarding its exposure during the Financial Services Royal Commission in respect of a large portfolio of insureds.
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Community + Pro Bono
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Small Medium Enterprises (SME)
- Technology + Cyber
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales Young Lawyers Association
- Young Insurance Professionals Society
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group