Dean is a senior lawyer who specialises in financial lines products, with a focus on directors & officers, professional indemnity and coverage in the London and Australian markets. He has worked on complex shareholder class actions, regulatory investigations by ASIC and the AFP and financial services remediation schemes.
With extensive experience advising on complex coverage issues and monitoring and advising insurers on strategy to resolve coverage disputes and the underlying litigation or investigation, Dean also has experience investigating, managing and resolving a diverse range of professional indemnity claims including migration advisers to those involving substantial sums against directors, financial planners and insurers.
Dean has undertaken secondments at a major insurer as well as a well known third party claims handler, where he supported various financial lines claims across multiple jurisdictions which required him to liaise with the local offices. He has developed a deep understanding of the relationships between insurers, brokers and insured, which has enabled him to adopt a pragmatic and commercial approach to his advice.
- Acting on behalf of a director in the Federal Court in claims worth in excess of $150 million and concerning alleged breaches of a wide range of duties.
- Advising insurers and acting of behalf of financial services licensees concerned with multiple complaints arising from allegedly negligent financial planning advice.
- Advising on policy coverage issues with regard to a wide range of professional indemnity claims, including bespoke policies for banks and specialised professions such as seed growers.
- Acting for insurers in relation to related property damage claims worth in excess of $180 million.
- Advising on policy coverage issues with regard to a wide range of Directors & Officers claims, including ASIC investigations and Special Commissions.
- Acting for insurers in relation to multiple related class actions.
- Class Actions
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- NSW Claims Discussion Group