Dena specialises in property, construction and energy matters. She acts for local and overseas-based insurers in high-value and complex matters ranging from coverage disputes to the defence of litigated claims across a range of industries including infrastructure, engineering and construction, property, power generation and distribution and manufacturing. She is also experienced in pursuing high-value subrogated recovery actions.
Dena is committed to achieving the best commercial results for her clients and is skilled in developing and implementing strategies to deliver those results. She adopts a pragmatic approach when advising clients on difficult and complex issues, providing clear, concise advice and advising on the best commercial strategies for each claim.
Having worked in-house on secondment in the Major & Complex Loss Team, Dena is experienced in balancing the needs of insurers and insureds, and understands her clients’ highly specialised business practices, priorities and needs.
Construction and Contract Works
- Advising the local and overseas underwriters of the contract works and material damage policy covering the construction of one of Australia’s longest natural gas pipelines.
- Acting as defence counsel for the insurer in a coverage dispute regarding a claim arising out of a failed excavation.
- Advising insurers in relation to the failure of certain critical processing mining equipment in a multi-million dollar claim.
- Acting for a local insurer and their insured in a recovery action arising out of manufacturing defects in a machine.
- Acting for local insurers and their two insureds in a joint recovery action against a contractor arising out of a burst chilled-beam air conditioning hose causing subsequent damage to multiple levels of a commercial office building.
- Acting for local insurers and their insureds in relation to the recovery of costs for property damage sustained during the performance of certain works by third parties.
Industrial Special Risks
- Advising a large market of international insurers subscribing to a bespoke ISR Policy in relation to the shutdown of a mine after the failure of certain critical processing equipment.
- Advising insurers on coverage issues arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of various government responses to arrest the spread of COVID-19.
- Commercial Property
- Construction + Contract Works
- Industrial Special Risks
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- NSW Law Society