Edward assists local insurers, insurers at Lloyd’s of London, government departments and agencies, and third-party claims administrators with financial lines claims.
He is equally adept at providing coverage advice in connection with high-profile claims against listed entities as he is acting for the insurer and/or the insured in relation to SME claims.
Edward has undertaken a lengthy secondment to the financial lines claims team of a leading global insurer, which gave him a hands-on understanding of how insurers operate and what challenges they face. This helps him tailor his service to ensure clients’ objectives are met or exceeded.
He is a keen supporter of Wotton + Kearney’s CSR efforts and last year helped prepare 200 meals at OzHarvest’s Sydney base to distribute to people in need though the OzHarvest network.
Directors + Officers
- Acting for primary insurers in securities class actions against ASX-listed entities, including a major plaintiff law firm, a national retail chain and an education service provider.
- Acting for D&O and professional indemnity insurers following the collapse of one of Australia’s largest private client stockbroking, corporate advisory and asset management groups.
- Successfully defending a misleading and deceptive conduct claim brought against directors of a bio-tech company in connection with a capital investment.
- Defending various professional indemnity and management liability claims against SME businesses in a civil, criminal, regulatory and disciplinary context including for professional negligence, employment practices liability and statutory liability.
- Defending an environmental consultancy firm, for its primary professional indemnity insurers, in a $20 million claim over the failure of a medical waste incinerator.
- Acting as defence counsel (and quasi-coverage counsel) for a professional indemnity insurer faced with a $10 million claim following a declinature and the deregistration of the insured.
- Representing a vehicle inspector under instructions from the primary PI insurer in defence of proceedings arising out of an alleged breach of duty.
- Defending a claim brought against a national accounting firm, for its primary professional indemnity insurer, following allegations of negligent taxation and restructuring advice.
- Acting under instructions from the primary PI insurer of a financial planner who was alleged to have negligently failed to incept a life insurance policy.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Small Medium Enterprises (SME)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (Committee member since 2014)
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria