Elizabeth is a senior member of Wotton + Kearney’s Property, Construction & Energy team. She has over a decade of commercial and insurance litigation experience, advising the Australian and international insurance market on complex and high value litigation in Australia and overseas.
Elizabeth currently acts for global insurers and their insured customers in complex recovery actions in the civil infrastructure, oil and gas and power generation sectors. Elizabeth is known for her technical ability and strategic nous, her effective management of large teams and technical workstreams and her ability to devise practical and commercial solutions to complicated legal problems.
Elizabeth also has extensive financial lines experience with a specific focus on professional indemnity and trade credit. She has acted for global insurers and their insured customers as defence counsel in a wide range of complex professional negligence claims in Australia. She has also acted for corporate insureds in high value coverage disputes, both litigated and non-litigated, against a major insurer in the trade credit space.
Property, Construction & Energy
- Advising on and acting in several recovery actions relating to the catastrophic failure of power generators and transformers.
- Acting in recovery actions relating to the design and construction of a major road infrastructure project.
- Acting in defence of a property damage claim arising from the release of water from a fire sprinkler system over industrial machinery in a furniture factory.
- Acting in a recovery action relating to the catastrophic failure of a gas insulated switchgear in a water desalination plant.
- Acting in a complex coverage dispute relating to material damage and business interruption losses due to failures of an integrated waste treatment and resource recovery facility.
- Advising on complex coverage and recovery issues regarding property damage and economic losses allegedly caused by the design of a transport upgrade project.
- Advising on complex coverage and defence issues regarding material damage and business interruption losses allegedly caused by the failure of rubber linings installed in an ammonium phosphate fertiliser manufacturing plant.
- Acting in a recovery action relating to material damage and consequential losses caused by a fire that damaged an ocean front mixed-use building.
- Advising on complex coverage and recovery issues regarding material damage and business interruption losses caused by a large fire that destroyed part of a shipyard and an Australian Navy vessel.
- Advising on complex recovery issues regarding material damage and business interruption losses caused by the failure of an anaerobic stage reactor in a secondary water treatment plant.
- Advising on a recovery action against a foreign manufacturer regarding substantial economic losses sustained as a consequence of the manufacture, supply and use of defective LOBAC in an electricity supply network.
- Advising on complex recovery issues regarding alleged fatigue damage to LNG pipelines and widespread paint and insulation defects throughout an onshore LNG facility.
- Acting in defence of an economic loss claim against a valuer arising from the valuation of a development site and proposed resort development.
- Acting in defence of a claim against a valuer arising from the valuation of a riverfront redevelopment site.
- Acting in defence of a claim against accountants regarding advice allegedly given to invest in agricultural-based managed investment schemes.
- Acting in defence of a claim against a principal contractor in relation to the design and construction of a mixed-use building which formed part of a major commercial property development.
- Acting in defence of a claim against an accountant regarding advice allegedly given to invest in a business operated in Europe.
- Advising on complex coverage issues in relation to a claim against a financial adviser regarding advice allegedly given to purchase a Lehman Brothers structured note.
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Property
- Construction + Contract Works
- Industrial Special Risks
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Trade Credit
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Queensland Law Society
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- The Association for Women in Insurance