Elizabeth represents large commercial insurers and their insured customers. Elizabeth specialises in financial lines with a specific focus on professional indemnity and has represented professionals in complex and high value professional negligence claims, including solicitors, accountants, auditors, financial advisors, engineers, town planners, valuers and insurance brokers.
Over the course of her career, Elizabeth has developed a deep practical understanding of the key strategies required to effectively respond to and resolve professional negligence claims and navigate contentious coverage issues.
Elizabeth has also developed expertise in the areas of property and trade credit. She has been involved in advising on coverage and recovery issues in respect of large ISR losses in the marine sector in Queensland and has acted for large commercial insurers to defend multi-million dollar property damage claims. Elizabeth has also advised corporate insureds about complex coverage issues under trade credit policies and prosecuted substantial claims on behalf of insureds against a major trade credit insurer.
- Acting for an accounting firm and its insurer in relation to a $1.5 million economic loss claim in the Supreme Court of Queensland regarding advice allegedly given to a property development group about various taxation issues. Elizabeth instructed at a successful interlocutory application to restrain the Plaintiffs’ solicitors from acting for two out of the six Plaintiffs. This application allowed pressure to be applied strategically to commercially resolve the proceeding.
- Advising a professional indemnity insurer in relation to a complex coverage dispute arising from a $2.5 million claim in the Supreme Court of New South Wales against a financial advisor regarding advice given to a former client to invest in a capital protected note issued by Lehman Brothers. Elizabeth assisted the insurer to effectively contest the claim for indemnity and avoid the matter becoming litigated.
- Acting for a petroleum company in relation to a $3 million claim against a major trade credit insurer for damages for breach of contract in the Supreme Court of Queensland. After taking over conduct of the proceeding from another firm, Elizabeth re-formulated the claim and adopted an assertive approach to challenging the insurer’s defence which ultimately contributed to a successful mediated outcome.
- Acting for an accounting firm, two accountants and their insurer in relation to a $5.3 million economic loss claim in the Supreme Court of Queensland regarding advice allegedly given to former clients in connection with investment in agricultural-based managed investment schemes. Elizabeth instructed at several successful interlocutory applications aimed at challenging the viability of the claims and achieved an excellent mediated outcome.
- Acting for a national valuation firm and its insurer in relation to a $20 million economic loss claim in the Supreme Court of Queensland arising from the valuation of a development site and proposed resort development in North Queensland. Elizabeth adopted an assertive approach to challenging the Plaintiff’s pleading which resulted in the withdrawal of key parts of the claim.
- Advising the ISR insurer of a shipyard owner regarding complex coverage and recovery issues relating to material damage and business interruption losses exceeding $20 million following a large fire. That advice assisted the insurer to navigate those issues, resolve the claim for indemnity expeditiously and identify key avenues for recovery.
- Acting for a leading provider of security and fire safety products in relation to a $43 million property damage claim in the Supreme Court of Queensland arising from the release of water from a fire sprinkler system over industrial machinery. Elizabeth adopted an assertive approach to challenging the Plaintiff’s pleading which contributed to the trial being vacated, the Plaintiff being ordered to pay the client’s costs thrown away on the adjournment of the trial and the proceeding be stayed until the Plaintiff paid those costs.
- Commercial Property
- Financial Institutions
- Industrial Special Risks
- Political Risk
- Professional Liability
- Trade Credit
- Warranty + Indemnity
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Queensland Law Society
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- The Association for Women in Insurance