Emma is an experienced litigator with a focus on public liability, workers’ compensation, life and general insurance litigation. Emma has acted for a wide range of insurers and self-insurers, in addition to several years working as an in-house solicitor for Queensland’s largest statutory insurer.
Emma enjoys providing clients with innovative and commercially pragmatic advice in a variety of complex insurance matters. Emma takes a robust and proactive approach to litigation, ensuring she is “always on the front foot” when dealing with disputes. Acting for large manufacturers, airlines, banks and blue-chip insurers and self-insurers, Emma has consistently achieved below average damages settlements at both compulsory conference and during litigation.
Emma is a keen advocate having obtained successful outcomes for clients in compulsory conferences, mediations, and various other alternative dispute resolution forums.
Emma has experience in public liability and workers’ compensation personal injury claims, including complex third party and psychiatric claims, workers’ compensation strategic statutory claims management and statutory reviews, institutional abuse claims, Life and TPD claims, General Insurance advice and complex indemnity disputes.
- Successfully defending three workers’ compensation damages claims in the District and Supreme Court of Queensland for a large statutory insurer within a 12-month period, for a combined claim value of $2 million+.
- Advising a large aviation self-insured client on risk and exposure for alleged fume related injuries within the statutory claim compensation scheme.
- Managing a portfolio of liability claims for institutional abuse against an uninsured entity, including advice on complex limitation issues and risk management for potential liability exposure.
- Negotiating settlement for large petro company for the plaintiff to abandon their claim.
- Managing a $2 million dependency claim against blue chip mining company.
- Advising and acting for a large insurer in a public liability claim involving the drowning death of an infant, including advice on the scope of coverage when the insured was subject to separate criminal proceedings.
- Advising insurers and self-insurers on complex indemnity, pure psychiatric and third party claims.
- Acting for blue chip manufacturers and mining companies in defence of their public liability claims.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- General Liability
- Personal Injury
- Transport + Marine
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Transport + Marine
- Queensland Law Society
- Women in Insurance
- Australasian Life Underwriting and Claims Association
- Young Insurance Professionals