Gemma’s practice focuses on D&O, professional indemnity and security actions. She has acted as defence counsel in a wide range of D&O matters and as coverage and monitoring counsel for insurance towers in securities class actions. She is also experienced in defending professionals in the construction and financial services industries in professional liability claims.
Gemma commenced her legal career in Perth before moving to Sydney in 2014 to further pursue her career in financial lines insurance claims. Gemma has recently returned to Perth and brings with her several years of defence and coverage experience obtained in Sydney. While in Sydney, Gemma undertook a secondment as a claims adjuster with a London-based insurer. She also completed a secondment in London at a global insurer where she supported the financial lines underwriting team across multiple jurisdictions.
Gemma’s experience in-house in Australia and overseas gives her a valuable insight into the commercial context of the matters she advises on. She also understands the relationship dynamics between insurers, brokers and insureds. Combining this understanding with her private practice experience, Gemma adopts a balanced approach to her instructions and advice to achieve pragmatic and commercial outcomes for her clients.
Directors + Officers
- Acting as defence counsel for a financial institution in the defence of multiple class actions arising out of the collapse of debenture schemes.
- Acting as defence counsel for a director in allegations of breach of directors’ duties following the failure of a mining company.
- Acting as defence counsel for a director in allegations of trespass against a former employee.
- Acting as defence counsel for a number of officers regarding ASIC examinations.
- Defending various building and construction insureds in professional liability claims against them.
- Defending an accountant in a claim in negligence that facilitated fraudulent activity resulting in plaintiffs claiming damages in excess of $5 million.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for numerous insurers participating in an insurance tower regarding a number of related claims, including a securities class action and direct claims made against directors of the company.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for an excess layer insurer regarding securities class actions commenced against a financial institution.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for a reinsurer in a complex claim in the energy sector with a potential quantum in excess of $5 billion.
- Acting as monitoring counsel in multiple class actions commenced against an Australian multinational financial institution in the United States of America.
- Class Actions
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Liability
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group